Old 06-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Plant name ?

Could anyone help me identify a plant that my dad used to have many years
ago,
Seem to remember it looked like a fern but when you touched the leaves they
curled up.
Have tried searching the web with not much luck.
Thanks for your time.

mark

Old 06-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Phil L

H wrote:
:: Could anyone help me identify a plant that my dad used to have
:: many years ago,
:: Seem to remember it looked like a fern but when you touched the
:: leaves they curled up.
:: Have tried searching the web with not much luck.
:: Thanks for your time.
::
:: mark

is it one of these:

http://www.tucsongardener.com/Year02...sitivefold.JPG

Try searching for sensitive plant, theres a boatload of pictures he

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ensitive+plant

They seem to be some kind of mimosa.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Kay

In article , H
serve.co.uk writes
Could anyone help me identify a plant that my dad used to have many years
ago,
Seem to remember it looked like a fern but when you touched the leaves they
curled up.
Have tried searching the web with not much luck.
Thanks for your time.

The famous one is Mimosa pudica. The leaves are made of lots of little
leaflets along each side of a central stem, and when you touch the leaf,
all the leaflets fold along their centres, the whole leaf fold down
along its central stem, and the stem of the leaf folds down.

Chiltern seeds sell the seeds.

--
Kay

Old 06-04-2005, 08:52 AM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
news
In article , H
serve.co.uk writes
Could anyone help me identify a plant that my dad used to have many years
ago,
Seem to remember it looked like a fern but when you touched the leaves they
curled up.
Have tried searching the web with not much luck.
Thanks for your time.

The famous one is Mimosa pudica. The leaves are made of lots of little
leaflets along each side of a central stem, and when you touch the leaf,
all the leaflets fold along their centres, the whole leaf fold down
along its central stem, and the stem of the leaf folds down.

Chiltern seeds sell the seeds.
Kay

Bought a baby one last week at the GC for 0,80 eurocent :~))
It's really interesting how the leaves fold up
Jenny

Old 06-04-2005, 03:53 PM
shazzbat

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
news
In article , H
serve.co.uk writes
Could anyone help me identify a plant that my dad used to have many

years
ago,
Seem to remember it looked like a fern but when you touched the leaves

they
curled up.
Have tried searching the web with not much luck.
Thanks for your time.

The famous one is Mimosa pudica. The leaves are made of lots of little
leaflets along each side of a central stem, and when you touch the leaf,
all the leaflets fold along their centres, the whole leaf fold down
along its central stem, and the stem of the leaf folds down.

Chiltern seeds sell the seeds.
Kay

Bought a baby one last week at the GC for 0,80 eurocent :~))
It's really interesting how the leaves fold up

Kids love them as I recall. When ours were little they touched it so often
it gave up on the task. Then gave up the ghost.

Steve

Old 06-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Sacha

On 6/4/05 15:53, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
news

snip The famous one is Mimosa pudica. The leaves are made of lots of
little
leaflets along each side of a central stem, and when you touch the leaf,
all the leaflets fold along their centres, the whole leaf fold down
along its central stem, and the stem of the leaf folds down.

Chiltern seeds sell the seeds.
Kay

Bought a baby one last week at the GC for 0,80 eurocent :~))
It's really interesting how the leaves fold up

Kids love them as I recall. When ours were little they touched it so often
it gave up on the task. Then gave up the ghost.

Steve

For a good-sized conservatory, try a Sparmannia - brush your finger over the
stamens and wait.......
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 10:45 AM
Plant Name? Willow Australia 16 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Plant Name? Willow Australia 0 11-03-2003 10:57 AM