Old 11-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Vine Weevil

We have just discovered what we think are vine weevil grubs in our
strawberry plants(in glasshouse). Have identified a nematode which should
get rid of them, but how have they got there in the first place?

Most of the plants are in growbags - and some of these are infected. We also
have one section which is compost (bought in in bags) which seems to be
badly infected and where we have lost about 90% of our plants. We rent out
part of our glasshouse to a plantsman - his plants come in from various
places - UK/Holland/Italy.

As well as wondering how they got there, how can we be sure they won't come
back!!!

Jeanne

Old 11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
shazzbat

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just discovered what we think are vine weevil grubs in our
strawberry plants(in glasshouse). Have identified a nematode which should
get rid of them, but how have they got there in the first place?

Most of the plants are in growbags - and some of these are infected. We

also
have one section which is compost (bought in in bags) which seems to be
badly infected and where we have lost about 90% of our plants. We rent out
part of our glasshouse to a plantsman - his plants come in from various
places - UK/Holland/Italy.

As well as wondering how they got there, how can we be sure they won't

come
back!!!

Jeanne

I assume you mean vine weevil larvae are in you strawberries, i.e. little C
shaped grubs, mostly cream coloured with a brown mouth end. I also assume
you discovered them when your plants fell over because they had no roots
left. They got in there by being hatched there, the adult weevils cannot fly
but are excellent climbers and their favourite hobby is to get in containers
and lay their eggs, which hatch into the grubs, which eat the roots of your
plants before becoming adults and repeating the cycle. You will almost
certainly have plants nearby with nibbled edges to the leaves, this is the
damage caused by the adults.

You can't be sure they won't come back. They will. You can treat with the
nematodes as you have mentioned, but like weeds, slugs, snails, you will
never get them all. You should empty out as many of your containers as
possible in autumn, especially the ones near plants showing the adult
damage, and repot your plants into fresh compost with no eggs in it.

Steve

Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Charlie Pridham

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just discovered what we think are vine weevil grubs in our
strawberry plants(in glasshouse). Have identified a nematode which should
get rid of them, but how have they got there in the first place?

Most of the plants are in growbags - and some of these are infected. We

also
have one section which is compost (bought in in bags) which seems to be
badly infected and where we have lost about 90% of our plants. We rent out
part of our glasshouse to a plantsman - his plants come in from various
places - UK/Holland/Italy.

As well as wondering how they got there, how can we be sure they won't

come
back!!!

Jeanne

They will always come back as they are present all over the UK in the
country side, strawberries being edible limits your course of action. but
most growers down here use sticky barrier tapes to prevent them reaching the
tops of grow bags (they can not fly) coupled with nematode drenches and
introducing bantams at certain times of year when fruit is not present. Life
is somewhat easier if the crop is not edible as you can use "Vinil" in the
compost which effectively stops them breeding in the compost, but put just
one untreated pot in a tunnel and it will be full of grubs in no time so the
adults are still very much around.
You may find your only course is to start again with clean stock.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
JennyC

"shazzbat" wrote in message

[...]

As Steve says, you'll probably never get them all :~(

They probably came in in one of your palntsmans pots......or they may just have
crawled in from elsewhere.

I had one plant from a reliable garden centre that was infested. By the time I
saw the adult beetles it was too late and I am still fighting the battle to
eradicate them 5 years later :~(

Just when you think you are winning - a plant falls over and you find the grubs
in the soil.

I'd get rid of as much infested soil as possible (NOT in the compost heap!)
Plants that have been in infested soil but are still OK can have their roots
rinsed REALLY clean and repotted.

Good luck - Jenny

Vine weevil - Armillatox David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:44 PM
Vine weevil Annabel United Kingdom 1 12-05-2003 12:32 PM
Giant Vine weevil ??????? bnd777 United Kingdom 9 20-04-2003 11:44 PM
Vine Weevil Larvae in outside soil. [email protected] United Kingdom 13 03-04-2003 06:44 PM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM