Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 AM
MM

Default Web sites for identifying plants?

Does anyone know of a web site with lots of pictures to aid the
identification of plants? I see lots of plants - shrubs, flowers,
trees - and have no idea what they are.

MM
Old 12-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Emrys Davies

"MM" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a web site with lots of pictures to aid the
identification of plants? I see lots of plants - shrubs, flowers,
trees - and have no idea what they are.

MM

Best to go to www.google.com, select images and search for the name of
the plant you wish to identify.

If you merely search for 'plants' you will have just ten pages from
which to choose.

The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
http://tinyurl.com/6jnye
gives details of over 15,000 Plants and 6,000 Photographs and is a must
for the enthusiastic gardener.

You may find a good offer on this wonderful book or give a hint or two
near to your birthday.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Mike Lyle

Emrys Davies wrote:
[...]
The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
http://tinyurl.com/6jnye
gives details of over 15,000 Plants and 6,000 Photographs and is a
must for the enthusiastic gardener.

You may find a good offer on this wonderful book or give a hint or

two
near to your birthday.

Am I the only one who finds this book rather disappointing? I like
the way the pictures are presented, according to colour and time of
year; but there should be twice as many pictures if it's to be a real
designer's companion. Details are sketchy, as well. I know it would
then cost a heck of a lot more, but it does call itself an
"encyclopedia", which it just isn't.

--
Mike.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
JennyC

"MM" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a web site with lots of pictures to aid the
identification of plants? I see lots of plants - shrubs, flowers,
trees - and have no idea what they are.

MM

Try the following:
http://www.plangreen.com/plantsel.asp
http://www.perennials.com/search.html
Jenny

Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REM
OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Emrys Davies wrote:
[...]
The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
http://tinyurl.com/6jnye
gives details of over 15,000 Plants and 6,000 Photographs and is a
must for the enthusiastic gardener.

You may find a good offer on this wonderful book or give a hint or

two
near to your birthday.

Am I the only one who finds this book rather disappointing? I like
the way the pictures are presented, according to colour and time of
year;

You've got your books mixed up, haven't you? That's the RHS
Encyclopaedia of Plants and Flowers. The RHS A-Z does what it says on
the tin - the plants and pictures are in alphabetical order.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REM OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Emrys Davies wrote:
[...]
The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
http://tinyurl.com/6jnye
gives details of over 15,000 Plants and 6,000 Photographs and is

must for the enthusiastic gardener.

You may find a good offer on this wonderful book or give a hint

or
two near to your birthday.

Am I the only one who finds this book rather disappointing? I like
the way the pictures are presented, according to colour and time

of
year;

You've got your books mixed up, haven't you? That's the RHS
Encyclopaedia of Plants and Flowers. The RHS A-Z does what it says

on
the tin - the plants and pictures are in alphabetical order.

Ah, right. No, I haven't got that one.

--
Mike.