Old 13-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Kay

In article , [H]omer
writes

In
retrospect, we should have got a bridging loan and taken more time, but
it's easy to say that now.

And perhaps looked at the OS map for the area and compared the height of
your property with the height of the river? But as you say, hindsight is
a wonderful thing.

--
Kay

Old 13-04-2005, 09:40 PM
[H]omer

Mike wrote:

Are your houses built under the National House Builders Council or whatever
it is called? Whereby your houses are examined at each stage of build and a
20(?) year guarantee placed on them?

No idea. All we were told was that we had one year to complain about any
faults with the property, which we did ... over and over ... along with
every other resident on the estate.

E.g. - the gas, which was supposed to be plumbed-in *before* we entered
the premises, wasn't. We complained. Two weeks later, they finally fixed
it. Problems outstanding from before the end of the one year 'warranty'
period remain unfixed (by them) to this day.

It wasn't that we didn't complain, it was just that the developer didn't
care, and the local councillor cared even less. AFAIK half the council
are drinking buddies with the partners in the development firm.

Anyway, it's seven years later and this is way OT. A lifetime's worth of
more important event have occured in the meantime (such as my father's
demise), and the whole thing is just too depressing to dredge up again.
So from my end anyway, this thread is closed.

-
[H]omer
Old 14-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Sue Begg

Hi,
If you find clay in NE Scotland can you let me know. I've just been
posting to the pond group asking for advice on puddling a large new pond
that I am building. My subsoil is so much sand and gravel that after a
year the original hole has not a drop of water in it and at 60ft
diameter I can't afford a liner :-(

Pity. I've been tryiing in vain to remember whereabouts in NE
coastal Scotland there's a clay flood basin.

Janet.

--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 15-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Kay
writes
In article , [H]omer
writes

In
retrospect, we should have got a bridging loan and taken more time, but
it's easy to say that now.

And perhaps looked at the OS map for the area and compared the height of
your property with the height of the river? But as you say, hindsight is
a wonderful thing.

And I guess 7 years ago there was not quite so much awareness of the
building on flood plain /flooding issues anyway.

Our new (almost anyway) house down south is on a hill, though it is
Cambridgeshire hill so about 10m above sea level :-), so maybe an island
in 50 years :-)

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: