Old 27-01-2003, 10:47 PM
snafu steve

Default Seed potato recommendations please!

Snip
I'm going for Foremost again, always had good results with this potato
and slug resistance is fair in my heavy soil.

Charlotte ( a salad variety ) is well worth planting too, excellent
flavour, but doesn't like hanging around in the soil too long. Very
good slug resistance, I've found.

I happened to notice today that charlotte are in stock now at B&Q, at least
in Poole, I assume other places also. I think I'm going to try some this
year.

Steve

Old 28-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:47:25 -0000, "snafu steve"
wrote:

I happened to notice today that charlotte are in stock now at B&Q, at least
in Poole, I assume other places also. I think I'm going to try some this
year.

Steve

Cooking tip: If you leave Charlotte in the ground too long they tend
to fall apart when boiling, and they become quite floury.
If this happens, cook them in the microwave ( if you have one ), it
works a treat!

Bung the spuds in a bowl, add 6 tablespoons water per pound and a half
of spuds, cover, zap full power for 8-12 mins, stirring twice.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 28-01-2003, 06:05 PM
sacha

in article , Sue & Bob Hobden at
wrote on 25/1/03 11:45 pm:

"Chris" wrote in message
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.
--

You don't mention your soil type, we garden on Thames clay/silt, very heavy,
in fact at the moment you could easily throw pots with it despite years of

FE.....Concorde; SE....Kestral (slug resistant which is the most important
criteria for me but it's also a good spud)
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

As someone who doesn't grow potatoes and whose only lot of seed rotted off 2
years ago thanks to rain, does anyone grow Dunbar? It's the *most*
delicious potato, especially when roasted but I gather it's very prone to
mildew so isn't popular commercially. Have you tried it, Bob?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
sacha wrote:

As someone who doesn't grow potatoes and whose only lot of seed rotted off 2
years ago thanks to rain, does anyone grow Dunbar? It's the *most*
delicious potato, especially when roasted but I gather it's very prone to
mildew so isn't popular commercially. Have you tried it, Bob?

Which Dunbar? There are several.

I bought some Dunbar Rover the year before last, but they had all
rotted from gangrene before I planted them. Last year I succeeded,
and they were good but not much better than King Edward and a lot
less flexible. E.g. they baked well but didn't boil well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 28-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Alan Gould

In article , sacha
writes
Can't tell you which, Nick. Friends that grow them just call them Dunbars
and I remember we bought the seed from Tuckers in Ashburton.

Tuckers 2003 catalogue has Dunbar Standard listed as a cream fleshed
white skinned maincrop roasting and chipping potato.
www.edwintucker.com
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.