Old 25-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Chris

Default Seed potato recommendations please!

There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.
--
Chris
Old 25-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Beachcomber

It's a matter of taste. I like Maris Bard and Pentland Javelin but you need
to try some different ones to see which you like and also, more to the
point, which ones grow well in your soil

Old 25-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ], Chris ] wrote:
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.

Of the earlies I have grown, I favour Belle de Fontenay, but that is
because it is one of the best flavoured. It is also pretty reliable
in my experience.

I found Maris Bard reasonably well flavoured and a much heavier
cropper. It was no more trouble, and made a good boiling potato if
let mature.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 25-01-2003, 08:12 PM
John

On 25 Jan 2003 19:54:43 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Of the earlies I have grown, I favour Belle de Fontenay, but that is
because it is one of the best flavoured. It is also pretty reliable
in my experience.

I'll second that - wonderful flavour !! best I've ever grown. Can't find it
locally this year so will probably settle for Ulster Sceptre - very nice!
--
Regards,

John.

Old 25-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
John wrote:
On 25 Jan 2003 19:54:43 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Of the earlies I have grown, I favour Belle de Fontenay, but that is
because it is one of the best flavoured. It is also pretty reliable
in my experience.

I'll second that - wonderful flavour !! best I've ever grown. Can't find it
locally this year so will probably settle for Ulster Sceptre - very nice!

I have to order it for delivery by mail! This year, I am using
Tuckers.

Old 25-01-2003, 11:19 PM
snafu steve

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.
--
Chris

We were very pleased with our second earlies "Marfona". Much better than our
first earlies "Pentland javelin"

Steve

Old 25-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Chris" wrote in message
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.
--

You don't mention your soil type, we garden on Thames clay/silt, very heavy,
in fact at the moment you could easily throw pots with it despite years of

FE.....Concorde; SE....Kestral (slug resistant which is the most important
criteria for me but it's also a good spud)
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 26-01-2003, 12:23 AM

Of the earlies I have grown, I favour Belle de Fontenay, but that is
because it is one of the best flavoured. It is also pretty reliable
in my experience.

Spotted it for sale in the local Wyevale Garden Centre today....

Best,

- h

Old 26-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Graham Wells

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
"Chris" wrote in message
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.
--

You don't mention your soil type, we garden on Thames clay/silt, very heavy,
in fact at the moment you could easily throw pots with it despite years of
incorporating organic matter !

FE.....Concorde; SE....Kestral (slug resistant which is the most important
criteria for me but it's also a good spud)

I would rate CONCORDE as the best potatoe that I have ever
grown.Though a first early it bulks up to produce great bakers,chips
or roasts.Nine tubers provided enough for two of us eating them three
to four times a week and we still have plenty left,but I did use a
different growing method to get this huge crop.Forgot to say that In
our opinion it is also the best flavoured one that we have ever
tried,and boy have we tried some.No blight or slug damage,but I put
that down to the different way of growing them.
Old 26-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Alan Gould

In article ], Chris ]
writes
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.

We shall grow Desiree again this year - a good reliable crisp, yellow
fleshed, red skinned second early which always does well on our soil.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 26-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Graham wrote in message
FE.....Concorde; SE....Kestral (slug resistant which is the most

important
criteria for me but it's also a good spud)

I would rate CONCORDE as the best potatoe that I have ever
grown.Though a first early it bulks up to produce great bakers,chips
or roasts.Nine tubers provided enough for two of us eating them three
to four times a week and we still have plenty left,but I did use a
different growing method to get this huge crop.Forgot to say that In
our opinion it is also the best flavoured one that we have ever
tried,and boy have we tried some.No blight or slug damage,but I put
that down to the different way of growing them.

Well don't leave us in suspense Graham, what is your growing method? Also do
you normally have a slug problem?

I've dug up a 25ft row of maincrop (Kondor) before now and got less than a
bucket of useable spuds due to slugs, so is it worth me leaving mine in for
larger spuds? (or slug food)

Old 26-01-2003, 03:06 PM

but I did use a
different growing method to get this huge crop.

Which was?

-h

Old 27-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Graham Wells

"Graham wrote in message
[...]

Sue and Bob and any others interested,I will reveal all early April
when people can try out the system for themselves.Very simple but does
need a fair amount of ground.But no slugs and no blight.
Old 27-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:46:49 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article ], Chris ]
writes
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.

We shall grow Desiree again this year - a good reliable crisp, yellow
fleshed, red skinned second early which always does well on our soil.

I'm going for Foremost again, always had good results with this potato
and slug resistance is fair in my heavy soil.

Charlotte ( a salad variety ) is well worth planting too, excellent
flavour, but doesn't like hanging around in the soil too long. Very
good slug resistance, I've found.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 27-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Chris

In article ], Chris ]
writes
There are so many seed potatoes?
Which should I go for?
I want earlies, to plat four every fortnight so as to get a succession.

Thanks for all the replies.
I went to a local nursery, rather than a garden centre,
and asked the bloke there what he used, and bought some of them -
Ulster Sceptre - first earlies.
I'm aiming to plant four every two weeks for three months.
--
Chris