Old 15-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Magwitch

Default When to plant out runner/french beans?

My beans are at the first true leaves stage in old loo roll root trainers
and I wondered when they'll be big enough to plant out around the wigwams
I've made for them.

We have rabbits and pigeons, do the young plants need any protection esp.
from the latter? (The rabbits will be kept at bay by a fence around the veg
garden).

Old 15-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Kay

In article , Magwitch writes
My beans are at the first true leaves stage in old loo roll root trainers
and I wondered when they'll be big enough to plant out around the wigwams
I've made for them.

We have rabbits and pigeons, do the young plants need any protection esp.
from the latter? (The rabbits will be kept at bay by a fence around the veg
garden).

Don't know about those two, but they definitely need protection from
slugs which, instead of going for the leaves, go straight for the stem
and fell the entire plant. I'd be looking at 12 to 18 inches tall, with
a stem that has toughened up.

When is your latest frost likely to be? Runner beans in particular are
sensitive to frost. I've never planted out before June.
--
Kay

Old 15-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Robert

:
: We have rabbits and pigeons, do the young plants need any protection esp.
: from the latter? (The rabbits will be kept at bay by a fence around the
veg
: garden).
:

Pigeons won't harm them, I don't know about rabbits. I wouldn't plant out
until mid May and I'm in the south west. The trouble is they will get a
chill and struggle on...... but then again, you may be lucky