Old 19-04-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting out runner beans?

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it have
on the beans anyway?

Alan

Old 19-04-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it have
on the beans anyway?

Alan

Frost are always possible, even in June. I remember walking down to my
allotment and passing several with frosted potatoes. It is a case of
suck it and see, I would not plant out runner beans until well into May
in North Staffordshire.
Old 19-04-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
: Alan Holmes wrote:
:: I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in
:: the greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will
:: affect them.
::
:: Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would
:: it have on the beans anyway?
::
:: Alan
::
::
: Frost are always possible, even in June. I remember walking down to my
: allotment and passing several with frosted potatoes. It is a case of
: suck it and see, I would not plant out runner beans until well into
: May in North Staffordshire.

They are already planted out here in places but I prefer to play safe and
keep them in pots in the house garden and wait till a week or so into May
before they are planted out on the allotment

Old 19-04-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/4/07 15:45, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it have
on the beans anyway?

Alan

But most certainly, there could still be frosts! It's only April, after all
and one should not be lulled by this fine weather. One of our staff told me
this morning that he had ice on the windshield of his car this morning and
this is balmy Devonshire! We advise people not to risk anything until mid
to end of May and even then, to listen to weather forecasts.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-04-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it have
on the beans anyway?

It will kill them. April is a bit early to plant out runners - late May
to June is better depending on when your last frost is.
--
Kay

Old 19-04-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it
have on the beans anyway?

Thanks to everybody for the answers, I might have to go down and dig out the
ones I planted!(:-(

Alan

Old 19-04-2007, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote ...

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it
have on the beans anyway?

The old gardeners always said don't put out anything tender 'till after
Chelsea and that still holds good even here. We had a grass frost on the 9th
June a few years back that killed a number of our cucurbits.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 19-04-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AlexS" wrote in message

You might be OK. I don't normally put anything delicate out till the
Hawthorne (May Flower) is out and it's out now.
--
Alex

Not here in mid UK it aint !

Pete

www.thecanalshop.com

Old 19-04-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
: On 19/4/07 15:45, in article
: , "Alan Holmes"
: wrote:
:
::
:: I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in
:: the greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will
:: affect them.
::
:: Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would
:: it have on the beans anyway?
::
:: Alan
::
::
: But most certainly, there could still be frosts! It's only April,
: after all and one should not be lulled by this fine weather. One of
: our staff told me this morning that he had ice on the windshield of
: his car this morning and this is balmy Devonshire! We advise people
: not to risk anything until mid to end of May and even then, to listen
: to weather forecasts.

Don't forget that you are nearly on Dartmoor though and that accounts for
your lower night time temps think??

Old 19-04-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/4/07 22:20, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
: On 19/4/07 15:45, in article
: , "Alan Holmes"
: wrote:
:
::
[...]

If anything, we're milder than some parts of Britain, less so than others
etc. But to be confident of no further frosts by now, I think Alan would
need to live in Salcombe not Windsor. ;-)

Old 19-04-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have only had two, very light frosts all winter. Yet, I haven't even
sowed runner beans yet.

Go for it. Plant them out, and if they are killed off, there's still masses
of time for another lot.

What on earth made you start so early?!!

Regards,

Keith
south Dorset

Old 19-04-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But, to tell the whole truth...

I have planted out Courgettes, Tomatoes, Tagetes, Pelargoniums...

all unprotected :-)

Keith

Old 20-04-2007, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: On 19/4/07 22:20, in article ,
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
: Sacha wrote:
: : On 19/4/07 15:45, in article
: : , "Alan Holmes"
: : wrote:
: :
: ::
[...]
: --
: Sacha
:
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
: (remove weeds from address)
:
Righty ho

Old 20-04-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Holmes" wrote:

I started to plant out some runner beans which have been started in the
greenhouse, SWMBO has told me there may be frosts which will affect them.

Is it possible there will still be some frost, and what effect would it have
on the beans anyway?

Alan

2 or 3 years ago we had frost at the very end of May. An allotment
neighbour went on holiday, and planted out his beans and outdoor
tomatoes before going. He lost the lot.
We may not get another frost, but it's a big risk. If you plant the
beans just inside the canes, you could wrap fleece around the cane
structure up to 2 or 3 feet, which might be enough.
Depends where you are.

Pam in Bristol