Old 18-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Andrew Hickley

Default Advice please - new raised bed with a difference

We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden
and I was wondering what the panel would advise we plant on it?

They look like this:

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/melting...hel/shel2.html

and were often, if not usually, planted up as extra vegetable plot as
part of "Digging for Victory".

There is about 12 inches of soil over the top of the structure, sides
sloping at about 45 degrees, and two "raised bed" areas at either side
about two feet deep and two feet front to back, extending the length of
the shelter (about eight feet in all). The soil will obviously be very
free draining, especially over the top of the structure.

What vegetables would thrive in these conditions? Any advice gratefully
received. TIA.
Old 18-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Mike

Ah! Those were the days;-)

Damp ;-(
Cold :-((
Miserable if you had just been hooked out of bed to go to the shelter
because a Doddle Bug had landed neaby ;-(( (Where was the sense in
that? The bomb had dropped!!)

Ah memories of a 7 year old

In answer to the question, if it hadn't got Marigolds on it, you were out of
fashion.

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies

Old 18-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Mike

Ah! Those were the days;-)

Damp ;-(
Cold :-((
Miserable if you had just been hooked out of bed to go to the shelter
because a Doodle Bug had landed nearby ;-(( (Where was the sense in

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 18-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Brian Watson

"Mike" wrote in message
Ah! Those were the days;-)

Damp ;-(
Cold :-((
Miserable if you had just been hooked out of bed to go to the shelter
because a Doddle Bug had landed neaby ;-(( (Where was the sense in
that? The bomb had dropped!!)

In answer to the question, if it hadn't got Marigolds on it, you were out
of
fashion.

Presumably only if (a) Marigold lived next door, and (b) a high wind had
been blowing.
--
Brian

Old 18-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Mike

Presumably only if (a) Marigold lived next door, and (b) a high wind had
been blowing.
--
Brian

Cheeky ;-)

Plural, not 's

in any case it wasn't Marigold who lived next door, it was Angela ;-)

Old 18-04-2005, 05:08 PM
shazzbat

"Andrew Hickley" wrote in message
We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden

Why?

Steve

Old 18-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Andrew Hickley

We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden

Why?

We found it in a neighbour's hedge and it seemed a shame not to. We have
a smallholding and very little about it is modern - an Anderson shelter
fits in rather well, and I don't know anyone else who has got one ("as
new" anyway) in their garden. It's a frost free place to store spuds and
I have a yen to grow musshrooms in it too...
Old 18-04-2005, 05:27 PM
shazzbat

"Andrew Hickley" wrote in message
We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden

Why?

We found it in a neighbour's hedge and it seemed a shame not to. We have
a smallholding and very little about it is modern - an Anderson shelter
fits in rather well, and I don't know anyone else who has got one ("as
new" anyway) in their garden. It's a frost free place to store spuds and
I have a yen to grow musshrooms in it too...

Ah, I think you mean one of the ones made from "wiggly tin" don't you?

I was thinking of the ones I knew in Manchester when I was a kid. Brick
built with an enormous concrete slab for a roof. We had had one in our
garden, but it was reduced to ground level and turned into a pond by the
time I was born (baby boomer) Apparently my dad and several of his mates
spent an entire weekend with sledgehammers and made themselves extremely
unpopular in the process.

Steve

Old 18-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Jiri Borsky

shazzbat wrote:

I was thinking of the ones I knew in Manchester when I was a kid. Brick
built with an enormous concrete slab for a roof. We had had one in our
garden, but it was reduced to ground level and turned into a pond by the
time I was born (baby boomer)

I have seen one like that in a Stoke-on-Trent garden.
The thick concrete slab was made with zillions of surplus clay pipes
(the smoking variety).
Not enough tobacco to go round in them days? ;-)

Jiri Borsky

Old 19-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Andrew Hickley

We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden

Why?

We found it in a neighbour's hedge and it seemed a shame not to. We have
a smallholding and very little about it is modern - an Anderson shelter
fits in rather well, and I don't know anyone else who has got one ("as
new" anyway) in their garden. It's a frost free place to store spuds and
I have a yen to grow musshrooms in it too...

Ah, I think you mean one of the ones made from "wiggly tin" don't you?

Crinkly tin it is, only much, much heavier than corrugated iron. Any
more planting thoughts anyone? Which vegetables benefit most from very
freely draining conditions?
Old 19-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Alan Holmes

"Andrew Hickley" wrote in message
We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden

Why?

We found it in a neighbour's hedge and it seemed a shame not to. We have
a smallholding and very little about it is modern - an Anderson shelter
fits in rather well, and I don't know anyone else who has got one ("as
new" anyway) in their garden. It's a frost free place to store spuds and
I have a yen to grow musshrooms in it too...

But did you erect it properly, in a hole 3 feet deep?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 19-04-2005, 09:21 PM
keith ;-\)

I don't know about veg but what about sempervivum .

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 19-04-2005, 09:29 PM
keith ;-\)

If you want to go for veg ,try the shallow rooted varieties & veg which is
quick to crop like ,lettuce ,radish.If I were you I would go to my nearest
garden centre & browse through the veg seed packets, read the packets and
see what you think would suit your site.
You have nothing to lose,its all trial & error!
Hope this helps at all .

Old 20-04-2005, 07:21 AM
JennyC

"Andrew Hickley" wrote in message
We've just finished re-erecting a WWII Anderson Shelter in the garden
and I was wondering what the panel would advise we plant on it?

They look like this:

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/melting...hel/shel2.html

and were often, if not usually, planted up as extra vegetable plot as
part of "Digging for Victory".

There is about 12 inches of soil over the top of the structure, sides
sloping at about 45 degrees, and two "raised bed" areas at either side
about two feet deep and two feet front to back, extending the length of
the shelter (about eight feet in all). The soil will obviously be very
free draining, especially over the top of the structure.

What vegetables would thrive in these conditions? Any advice gratefully
received. TIA.

What about marrows, courgettes, gourds etc that could sort of clamber over it?
Jenny