Old 18-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Alan Holmes

Default At long last

I've managed to get the potatoes planted, what with digging the
ground over, then having to bend over to set the damned things
I'm absolutely exhausted, I need a very long holiday!

Next is going to be peas!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 19-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Lucky you - we still haven't been able to get the ground rotavated. Hoping
to get smaller patch done this weekend but main patch (in field) is likely
to be a few more weeks away yet. This is where potatoes (second early),
carrots (early), peas, broad beans, french beans and courgettes will go.
Courgettes are coming on in pots in greenhouse but how late can we sow the
rest of the crops to get a decent yield this summer?

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 19-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-04-19, Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've managed to get the potatoes planted, what with digging the
ground over, then having to bend over to set the damned things
I'm absolutely exhausted, I need a very long holiday!

Next is going to be peas!

Lucky you - we still haven't been able to get the ground rotavated. Hoping
to get smaller patch done this weekend but main patch (in field) is likely
to be a few more weeks away yet. This is where potatoes (second early),
carrots (early), peas, broad beans, french beans and courgettes will go.
Courgettes are coming on in pots in greenhouse but how late can we sow the
rest of the crops to get a decent yield this summer?

Having acquired an allotment in Cardiff just two weeks ago, I'm
wondering the same. It's been too wet to do anything with pretty much
the whole time since.

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)
Old 20-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-04-19, Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Ceri Davies contains these words:

On 2005-04-19, Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

how late can we sow the
rest of the crops to get a decent yield this summer?

Having acquired an allotment in Cardiff just two weeks ago, I'm
wondering the same. It's been too wet to do anything with pretty much
the whole time since.

Remember that many veg are best planted in succession anyway, to give
a long supply of fresh young crops. You can plant potatoes, runner and
french beans, peas, sugar snaps, carrots, lettuce, courgettes, radish,
spinach, beetroot in June and still get a worthwhile crop.

Thanks Janet, that's encouraging.