Old 19-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb Building a raised bed wall

I'm building my garden from scratch and would like to build a raised bed at the back of the garden in the shape of a half circle. I'm thinking of building it with brick but is there any other way of building a raisedbed wall cheaply?

Can you buy complete bed wall packages?
Old 19-04-2005, 10:03 PM
andrewpreece

"Mike" wrote in message

I'm building my garden from scratch and would like to build a raised bed
at the back of the garden in the shape of a half circle. I'm thinking of
building it with brick but is there any other way of building a
raisedbed wall cheaply?

I made a raised bed from treated timber log rolls, not the half logs you
edge
flowerbeds with, but full round logs, about 2 feet high and 1 metre long per
roll. The logs themselves are about 3" diameter. Not the most permanent
solution
but I reckon it'll last a good 20 years, I dipped the rolls in preserver
myself as an extra
precaution against rot. I'm tryng hard to remember what I paid for
them, I think it was £20/metre, though I can't be sure.
Don't try and hammer them in, they don't have pointy ends, just dig down a
few inches
to make a shallow trench where they are to go, and sit them in a bit of
concrete, you don't
lots. Quite a quick job, though there is a bit of skill and patience needed
in getting them
all aligned, and not sloping off in various directions. Use a spirit level
with both horizontal
and vertical bubbles. I lined the inside of my raised bed with anti-weed
fabric to keep the
earth from leaking out. It has performed very well.

Andy.

Old 22-04-2005, 02:49 PM

What about straw bales placed and stacked like bricks? You could
plaster the outside of them like how they make straw bale houses!
There is my 2 cents!
Erin

Building a raised vegetable bed Peter James United Kingdom 17 02-10-2005 08:53 PM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 5 26-02-2004 02:52 PM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:47 AM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:46 AM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:40 AM