Old 20-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike wrote:
"Colin Hammond" wrote in
message ...
In 1973 I brought back some bulbs from the Azores, I think they

are
locally known as Bella Donna. I planted them against a south

facing
wall and in 1976 they flowered, remember 1976! Since then nothing
except lots of lush green growth every year even though I moved

them
to a greenhouse 20 years ago. When I see them struggling every

year
I wish I could find someone to take them back to the Azores,

perhaps
there is some message here.

:-((

Oh Dear :-((

That's our first stop!!

Not a very good omen.

This is something I worry about a bit. I know that there are many
vectors for plant disease and pests, and they can't all be
controlled; but I think UK has been too permissive about the
commercial and amateur importation of plant material. Maybe we would
have avoided some recent epidemics or introductions if we'd been
strict, and maybe we wouldn't: but I think it would have done no harm
if we'd tried harder.

And while I'm on the subject, Trading Standards Officers could with
advantage be sicked onto GCs which sell weeds along with plants.
Bittercress sandwiches, anyone?

--
Mike.