Old 17-09-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydroponic kentia (howea) appearing sick...

Hi!
Two weeks ago I bought a hydroponic Kentia Forsteriana, repotted it into
a bigger pot and then watered and fertilized it like all my other plants.
Unfortunately, now the fresh leaves appear to have yellow spots and tips
and are not as green as the bigger older ones.
Here are some pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26316767@N00/

Any ideas?
Maybe
- too wet?
- wrong or too much fertilizer?
- too much sun?

Lots of Greetings and Thanks!
Volker
Old 17-09-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Volker Hetzer wrote:
Hi!
Two weeks ago I bought a hydroponic Kentia Forsteriana, repotted it
into a bigger pot and then watered and fertilized it like all my
other plants. Unfortunately, now the fresh leaves appear to have
yellow spots and tips and are not as green as the bigger older ones.
Here are some pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26316767@N00/

Any ideas?
Maybe
- too wet?
- wrong or too much fertilizer?
- too much sun?

Lots of Greetings and Thanks!
Volker

The little about hydroponics i know is that hydro plants grow those white
fleshy roots into the water / nutrient mix. These roots are easily snapped
but are able to tolerate total immersion. You'll see these most often when
rooting cuttings like buzzy lizzie in a glass of water on the windowsill.
When you pot a hydro plant (or biz liz cutting) into soil / compost it has
to grow proper fibrous roots that need some air and would rot if immersed
for a long period. These are strong enough to support the plant and find
their way through the soil. It may be this transition that is stressing the
plant.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 17-09-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Les Hemmings wrote:
Volker Hetzer wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I misexpressed myself. I put the plant into a bigger hydroponic pot.

Nevertheless, lots of thanks!
Volker