Old 24-04-2005, 04:19 PM
keith ;-\)

Default When to tranfer toms to cold greenhouse.

I have grown moneymaker & sungold,they are in a warm greenhouse at the
moment 60 min.I want my space back,and want to transfer the toms into my
cold greenhouse at the bottom of my garden.The plants now require support &
are starting to flop over.So when would you put them in the cold
greenhouse,I wouldn't plant out in the garden until 1 st week in
June,bedding & baskets etc.will they be alright in the cold greenhouse
before .

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 24-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Alan Gould

In article , keith ;-)
writes
I have grown moneymaker & sungold,they are in a warm greenhouse at the
moment 60 min.I want my space back,and want to transfer the toms into my
cold greenhouse at the bottom of my garden.The plants now require support &
are starting to flop over.So when would you put them in the cold
greenhouse,I wouldn't plant out in the garden until 1 st week in
June,bedding & baskets etc.will they be alright in the cold greenhouse
before .

We took a dozen Harbinger tomato plants from our conservatory and put
them onto the staging of an unheated greenhouse today. We will give them
a couple of days to acclimatise, them plant them out into the prepared
soil of the floor. We shall listen to the weather forecast!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Harold Walker

&
are starting to flop over.So when would you put them in the cold
greenhouse,I wouldn't plant out in the garden until 1 st week in
June,bedding & baskets etc.will they be alright in the cold greenhouse
before .

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

In the absence of any other comment will venture a thought....suspect you
might run into the same problem each year...all you need is frost protection
at this time of the year and a small inexpensive parafin heater will do the
job....if that is not to your liking why not some floating row cover which
can be used year after year....it gives a few degrees of frost protection
and basically that is all that you should need at this time of the
year....our last frost free date over here is late May and I think nothing
of such an approach and do not run into any problems.....my toms are
outdoors now but under 5mm plastic and our weather pattern is somewhat more
severe than yours....I happen to be quite familiar with the UK growing
conditions being a renegade Yorkshireman living abroad....HW