Old 04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
keith ;-\)

Default growing toms & cucs with concrete greenhouse floor?

I have just erected a greenhouse with a concrete floor,i want to try
tomatoes and cucumbers what will be my best option for growing them in?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Alan Gould

In article , keith ;-)
writes
I have just erected a greenhouse with a concrete floor,i want to try
tomatoes and cucumbers what will be my best option for growing them in?

First ensure that the floor has adequate drainage. Grow the plants in
pots, containers or troughs also with drainage. Cover the concrete with
a permeable medium, i.e capillary matting or similar, then place the
pots on it. Remember to leave room for access to the plants. Watch out
for growth of algae or infestations of insects, especially near to the
bases of the pots. Cucumbers and tomatoes both like plenty of warmth and
light, but cu's prefer a moist humid atmosphere, whereas toms like lots
of fresh air - it can be a problem pleasing both.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
I have just erected a greenhouse with a concrete floor,i want to try
tomatoes and cucumbers what will be my best option for growing them in?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

I use plastic builders buckets form the £1 shop and washing up bowls for the
trays. Drill half a dozen holes in the bucket and put an inch or so of
gravel in the washing up bowl to allow for the flat bottom of the bucket.
(this lets the water out of the bucket) and fill with the contents of a grow
bag. 1 bag to two/three buckets.. works 4 me.
Steve
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Old 04-01-2005, 08:47 PM
tom

I have just erected a greenhouse with a concrete floor,i want to try
tomatoes and cucumbers what will be my best option for growing them in?

I'm new to gardening but have bought a house with a greenhouse with a
paved floor. I grew gardeners delight using growbags, but also stood
large pots (with their bottoms cut out) filled with peat, sand &
chempak (not sure on the spelling). They grew great and i had to
develope a cane system that allowed them to grow up the side of the GH
and up into the roof (where they met the ones growing from the other
side) . I have a 6 x 4 GH and grew 18 in total.

I managed to supply our family, both pairs of elderly next door
neighbours, my mum & dad & friends at work with little tomms.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:01 PM
keith ;-\)

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Steve,how many tom plants per bucket.One ?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:11 AM

news:1104879637.006e1f4da342d8f9a934c9fd5bff69f2@t eranews...

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
I have just erected a greenhouse with a concrete floor,i want to try
tomatoes and cucumbers what will be my best option for growing them in?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

I use plastic builders buckets form the £1 shop and washing up bowls for

the
trays. Drill half a dozen holes in the bucket and put an inch or so of
gravel in the washing up bowl to allow for the flat bottom of the bucket.
(this lets the water out of the bucket) and fill with the contents of a

grow
bag. 1 bag to two/three buckets.. works 4 me.
Steve
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

I just put one in each, it gives the roots plenty of space. Last year was
not a fantastic crop because of the weather but I normally get enough to
last through the winter to at least spring. (Cooked and frozen in sauces for
pasta etc.) I put them three in a row coming out from the edge of the
greenhouse and grow about 15 tomato plants in total.
Steve

Old 05-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Oxymel of Squill

well, I grew tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers last year in plastic
supermarket bags filled with the contents of growbags