Old 25-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Jay

Default Evergreens

Hi,
I am a newbie out here, found this newsgroup very helpful.

Wanted some advice and expertise from your selves.
I have a high metal fencing at the back of our garden and wanted to put some
creeper and some good evergreens at the back of the garden.
Also was looking at adding some colour the back of the fence.

can you help!

Old 25-04-2005, 04:46 PM
nambucca

"Jay" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a newbie out here, found this newsgroup very helpful.

Wanted some advice and expertise from your selves.
I have a high metal fencing at the back of our garden and wanted to put

some
creeper and some good evergreens at the back of the garden.
Also was looking at adding some colour the back of the fence.

can you help!

Photinia Red Robin would make a lovely hedge

Old 25-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Sacha

On 25/4/05 15:05, in article , "Jay"
wrote:

Hi,
I am a newbie out here, found this newsgroup very helpful.

Wanted some advice and expertise from your selves.
I have a high metal fencing at the back of our garden and wanted to put some
creeper and some good evergreens at the back of the garden.
Also was looking at adding some colour the back of the fence.

can you help!

Can you tell us where you live because it will make a difference to
recommendations.
Nothing is going to stick to a metal fence so you would need to attach wires
or trellis and in hot weather - if anyone can remember what that is - the
plants will get very hot. It might be better to plant a colourful hedge,
rather than climbers etc. If your climate will support them, evergreens
are Escallonia, Eleagnus, Griselinia amd Azara which spreads well - maybe
too much for some people! All but Griselinia have lovely flowers and
Escallonia is very attractive to bees while Azara and some types of Eleagnus
are beautifully scented. Camellias make a good evergreen hedge and you have
the added bonus of being able to grow Clematis through any of the above, so
that you have later flowers after their own have been and gone. And then of
course, there's the many types of Eucalyptus......
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Hi,
I am a newbie out here, found this newsgroup very helpful.

Wanted some advice and expertise from your selves.
I have a high metal fencing at the back of our garden and wanted to put some
creeper and some good evergreens at the back of the garden.
Also was looking at adding some colour the back of the fence.

can you help!
Hi Jay

What way does the fence face? Is it shady or sunny?

Zoe