Old 26-04-2005, 04:10 PM
cNp

Default 3 metre Trellis - Where/how??!

Hi,

I have recently built a fence, 7 posts, six 3m sections, using posts, arris
rails, gravel boards and feather edge boards.

Now given that the standard UK length for arris rails is 3m (So I read) how
come I seem to draw a complete blank on getting anyone to make up some 3m
trellis for me?

Additionally I don't seem to be able to get anywhere to supply 1inch by 1/2
inch wood in 3m lengths for me to make my own.

Any ideas? Company names (I live in Berkshire and have phoned round a few
already).

Chris

Old 26-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Harry

"

This sounds too obvious but I imagine you have tried any local sawmills?
We
have one near us that makes up pretty much anything but that's no use to
you...
These people are in London and make custom built architecture but I have
no
idea of price or delivery etc. http://www.gardenarchitecture.net/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

The sawmills is the place to go, just ask for roof latts, thats the wood
they nail the roof tiles on, just bought some and it's treated wood as well.
Well it is where I live, good luck
Harry

Old 26-04-2005, 04:47 PM
p.k.

cNp wrote:

Additionally I don't seem to be able to get anywhere to supply 1inch
by 1/2 inch wood in 3m lengths for me to make my own.

19mm*38mm tile batten from most timber yard and builders supliers.

I doubt you will find 1*1/2

pk

Old 26-04-2005, 04:55 PM
cNp

Thanks for the replies, that gives me something to go back to the sawmills
with... always helps if you know what you are asking for!!

Cheers,

Chris

Old 26-04-2005, 08:58 PM
p.k.

nambucca wrote:
"cNp" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies, that gives me something to go back to the
sawmills with... always helps if you know what you are asking for!!

Cheers,

Chris

I tried phoning all the sawmills in my area apparently all trellis
panels are made "up north" where sawmills do indeed supply the size
of timber you are talking about
Mind you I priced up DIY and found it more expensive

Best trellis I found was "extra privacy trellis " at Arnold Lavers
Timber merchants ........it comes in 8ft by 4 ft panels at around £20

FAR beter to build in situ using tile batten -:

Long continuous runs
custom mesh sizes
Cheaper

pk

Old 27-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Charlie Pridham

"cNp" wrote in message
Hi,

I have recently built a fence, 7 posts, six 3m sections, using posts,

arris
rails, gravel boards and feather edge boards.

Now given that the standard UK length for arris rails is 3m (So I read)

how
come I seem to draw a complete blank on getting anyone to make up some 3m
trellis for me?

Additionally I don't seem to be able to get anywhere to supply 1inch by

1/2
inch wood in 3m lengths for me to make my own.

Any ideas? Company names (I live in Berkshire and have phoned round a few
already).

Chris

Try tanalised roof battens the 1x1.5" section sort are fine for trellising
(I use the even larger 2x1), you can get it from any builders merchants.
(use non ferrous screws, not nails when making it up)
Thinner wood looks ok when on its own but wont take the weight and windage
of a covered trellis

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-05-2005, 03:12 PM
MrBlueSkye

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"cNp" wrote in message
[...]

Bundle of Slate lath extremely cheap way to do it and treat it yourself.
It's what I use when I make up trellis

MBS

Old 28-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 28 May 2005 15:12:58 +0100, MrBlueSkye wrote:

Bundle of Slate lath extremely cheap way to do it and treat it
yourself.

Not sure you can get slate lath untreated... Bought treated is one
less step for you to do and commercial treatment is probably better
than any DIY as they'll be able to use more potent chemicals.

Buy from a builders merchant, much cheaper than a DIY shed and
available in 5m+ lengths. They'll cut and deliver as well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail