Old 28-04-2005, 10:31 PM
news.giganews.com

Default Base for a shed.

I'm planning on buying a shed and summerhouse online, and had been intending
on siting them on a solid concrete base. Now the total cost for the garden
is going too high and I'm wondering if the concrete bases are a luxury I can
do without???

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about the subject but I know you guys do :-)
I'd be so grateful for any suggestions for alternatives.

FYI the shed / summerhouse a

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....ex-Summerhouse
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....s/BillyOh-Shed

Old 28-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Mike

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....ssex-Summerhou
se
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....s/BillyOh-Shed

Make sure the ground is level and solid. Don't dig it over to make it look
nice :-((
If you need to level it, skim the high bits and trample them into the lower
bits.

Lay 3 x 3 (75 mm x 75mm) timbers, well preserved on bricks and lay the shed
on that. You can do the final levelling up with bits of damp proof felt or
bits of slates.

That is how mine was done for me in September 1986 and it is as good as gold
'EXCEPT', I didn't firm the ground where I had made it up and one end of the
shed a 10 ft x 8 ft has dipped just a little.

Make sure there is a good air gap under and that you can get to the
underneath with a cane or stick to clear rats and or mice nests out.

You only need a concrete base if that is going to be the floor. And they are
cold :-((

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 28-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Tofino

One end of the shed dipping is just fine megooves. A shed in which you
can drop a marble and have it stay put, without having the marble first
collide with stationary tqt, would be disturbing to me.

Old 29-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Whitedog

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:31:42 +0100, "news.giganews.com"
wrote:

I'm planning on buying a shed and summerhouse online, and had been intending
on siting them on a solid concrete base. Now the total cost for the garden
is going too high and I'm wondering if the concrete bases are a luxury I can
do without???

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about the subject but I know you guys do :-)
I'd be so grateful for any suggestions for alternatives.

Going to the pub?
Laying on the sofa and having a very hard think about it?

That's all my alternatives used up I'm afraid.
--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.' There are two kinds of people, those who finish what they start and so on.

Old 29-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Harry

wrote:

I'm planning on buying a shed and summerhouse online, and had been intending
on siting them on a solid concrete base. Now the total cost for the garden
is going too high and I'm wondering if the concrete bases are a luxury I can
do without???

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about the subject but I know you guys do :-)
I'd be so grateful for any suggestions for alternatives.

FYI the shed / summerhouse a

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....ex-Summerhouse
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....s/BillyOh-Shed

Get a "Bearers" pack. Then dig an area that is 3 inches wider and
longer than the shed. Go down about 2 inches and level/pack the
ground. Finally spread some 5-10mm gravel and make it level with the
grass. Level/pack it and lay the "bearers" down onto the gravel. Then
pop your shed onto the bearers.

I did this to the kids playhouse (a converted 8x6 shed) and it has
been rock solid for the last 3 years.

FWIW I did a concreate base for my workshop (12 x 15) and it was the
hardest 5 days work I have ever had to do. If I had the choice I would
not do a concrete bases again.

HTH

Harry
Old 29-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:58:28 +0100, Harry wrote:

Finally spread some 5-10mm gravel and make it level with the grass.
Level/pack it and lay the "bearers" down onto the gravel. Then pop
your shed onto the bearers.

I did this to the kids playhouse (a converted 8x6 shed)

This is fine for place that don't get even moderate wind. Otherwise
you may find that this happens:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Bear in mind that there is, er was, an eves level wall right against
one side of the shed and a 2'6" high one against the end. Not many
gardens get the full whack of an F7 or F8 though (sustained wind speed
over upper 30's low 40's mph).

Now trying to think of cheap and easy was of stopping it happening
again, 5 years ago we lost the roof. That landed on the wall the far
side of the road behind the shed in the above picture. But that was in
a real storm, F10 (50mph sustained, gusting to to upper 60's mph).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 29-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Harry

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:23:51 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

4 bags of sand inside the shed (one at each corner)

2 nylon straps over the top of the shed and tie the end of each strap
to a bag of sand or a rock.

LOL
Old 29-04-2005, 01:06 PM
SH

wrote:

[...]

This is very helpful
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....dingabase.aspx

Old 29-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

[...]

Or set the shed on a concrete-block base (no absolute need for
mortar), and drill, plug, and screw (brass for choice) into the
blocks. The blocks can be dug in, or just sit on a prepared surface

I lost (very dangerously) a shed roof in the hurricane, but that was
my own fault for fixing the sheets too lightly. I think the kind of
roof you get with sheds you buy should have fixings at right angles
to one another so it can neither lift nor shift.

--
Mike.

Old 30-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Steve

Lay 3 x 3 (75 mm x 75mm) timbers, well preserved on bricks and lay the
shed
on that. You can do the final levelling up with bits of damp proof felt or
bits of slates.

I used 3 old railway sleepers coated in used engine oil. Made sure they
were level and as I built the shed i screwed the base down to each of the
sleepers. Never a problem

Steve

Base for garden shed? Ed Gardening 45 09-08-2011 03:03 AM
Base for shed Honeysuckle Bunch United Kingdom 22 21-02-2008 06:58 PM
Concrete Shed base questions Rob United Kingdom 8 28-08-2007 02:46 PM
Shed Base Fredrick Skoog United Kingdom 2 17-05-2003 01:08 PM
Sealing the base of a garden shed. Barry Watts United Kingdom 1 07-04-2003 03:32 AM