Old 20-02-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Base for shed

Any advice would be welcome. I need a base for a shed 6ft x 8ft, I have had
one quote for £400.00 for labour only, I am to supply the materials i.e.
cement, sand, chippings and paving slabs. I was told to buy 10 bags of
each.

It seems a bit expensive as I have seen Hawklok tiles which would be quite
cheap in comparison and I could lay them myself.

Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small shed
is costing £200.00.

Old 20-02-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Honeysuckle Bunch" wrote in message
Any advice would be welcome. I need a base for a shed 6ft x 8ft, I have
had one quote for £400.00 for labour only, I am to supply the materials
i.e. cement, sand, chippings and paving slabs. I was told to buy 10 bags
of each.

It seems a bit expensive as I have seen Hawklok tiles which would be quite
cheap in comparison and I could lay them myself.

Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small shed
is costing £200.00.

Does the man that gave you the quote live in a caravan and does
he have an Irish accent. ??

Get some more quotes or do the job yourself, it will be hard work
but it will cost next to nothing.

Wally

Old 20-02-2008, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Steve Wolstenholme writes:
| On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:08:35 -0000, "Honeysuckle Bunch"
| wrote:
|
| Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small shed
| is costing £200.00.

No.

| It sounds like a rip-off to me but then I haven't done a shed base for
| ages. Perhaps it now takes more than a couple of hours using ready
| mixed agregate or maybe nobody supplies the stuff in your part of the
| world.

Why on earth do you need to cover the earth with concrete? Just
level it and put the slabs down directly (on bearers, of course).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-02-2008, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

"Honeysuckle Bunch" wrote in message
Any advice would be welcome. I need a base for a shed 6ft x 8ft, I have
had one quote for £400.00 for labour only, I am to supply the materials
i.e. cement, sand, chippings and paving slabs. I was told to buy 10 bags
of each.

It seems a bit expensive as I have seen Hawklok tiles which would be
quite cheap in comparison and I could lay them myself.

Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small
shed is costing £200.00.

Does the man that gave you the quote live in a caravan and does
he have an Irish accent. ??

LOL He says that he is landscape gardener.

Get some more quotes or do the job yourself, it will be hard work
but it will cost next to nothing.

Thanks very much I will not be accepting his quote.

Honeysuckle Bunch

Old 20-02-2008, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small shed
is costing £200.00.

It sounds like a rip-off to me but then I haven't done a shed base for
ages. Perhaps it now takes more than a couple of hours using ready
mixed agregate or maybe nobody supplies the stuff in your part of the
world.

I did think that he wanted rather a lot cement and sand to lay paving
stones, perhaps he was going to take the excess away with him. He told me
to buy the materials because he had a cash flow problem. There is Builders
Merchants five minutes away from me which stocks ready made aggregate but
this chap said that he wanted cement, sand and chippings because he has his
cement mixer.

Honeysuckle Bunch

--
Stephen Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com

Old 20-02-2008, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Steve Wolstenholme writes:
| On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:08:35 -0000, "Honeysuckle Bunch"
| wrote:
|
| Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small
shed
| is costing £200.00.

No.

| It sounds like a rip-off to me but then I haven't done a shed base for
| ages. Perhaps it now takes more than a couple of hours using ready
| mixed agregate or maybe nobody supplies the stuff in your part of the
| world.

Why on earth do you need to cover the earth with concrete? Just
level it and put the slabs down directly (on bearers, of course).

I did question that but was told that "he knows what he is doing", I suspect
he was taking advantage of a female.

Cheers

Honeysuckle Bunch

Old 20-02-2008, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Honeysuckle Bunch wrote:
[...]

You'd probably just need a few bags of sharp sand to make levelling the
slabs easier, but cement isn't usually necessary. Get one level and pack
the rest out as you go.
Old 20-02-2008, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Honeysuckle Bunch writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Why on earth do you need to cover the earth with concrete? Just
level it and put the slabs down directly (on bearers, of course).

I did question that but was told that "he knows what he is doing", I suspect
he was taking advantage of a female.

Anyone who *really* knows what he is doing also knows how to explain it
in terms that can be understood by a lay person, and is willing to do
so.
--
Kay
Old 20-02-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:08:35 -0000, Honeysuckle Bunch wrote:

Any advice would be welcome. I need a base for a shed 6ft x 8ft, I have
had one quote for £400.00 for labour only, I am to supply the materials
i.e. cement, sand, chippings and paving slabs. I was told to buy 10
bags of each.

cough 10 bags of cement! and equal sand and chippings, naw.

What is the ground like? Is it firm and not prone to flooding? Full size
3' x 2' slabs(*) laid and firmly leveled straight on firm ground will do..
Then some 4x4 treated bearers on top to put the shed floor on. I'd be
tempted to fix the shed floor joists to the bearers with galvanised nails
but then we are rather exposed and our 8x6 shed has been rolled over
(length wise) by the wind. It now has 1 1/2" square posts driven at least
18" into the ground at each corner and then bolted to the shed frame 3 or
4' up and at the bottom. It doesn't move now...

£400 labour, sheesh. How long did he say it'll take? 2 days 8/hrs day that
is still £25/hr... I wouldn't expect it take more than a day.

(*) If you can still get them that big, H&S might have decreed that they
are too heavy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-02-2008, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Honeysuckle Bunch" writes:

| Why on earth do you need to cover the earth with concrete? Just
| level it and put the slabs down directly (on bearers, of course).
|
| I did question that but was told that "he knows what he is doing", I suspect
| he was taking advantage of a female.

What he needs is a knee placed vigorously where it will convenience
him least. But I am not allowed to advise such action ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-02-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:

| You'd probably just need a few bags of sharp sand to make levelling the
| slabs easier, but cement isn't usually necessary. Get one level and pack
| the rest out as you go.

Dead right. This is what I did - for my 10'x8' shed:

Levelled the ground, trod it down well, raked it level, and iterated
until it was within about 1/2" of the same level all over.

Laid a 1-2" layer of sharp sand, levelled, trod and raked, and laid
the slabs, adjusting by adding or removing sand as necessary.

Put several tanalised bearers (2"x4", if I recall), long side up,
to keep the underneath ventilated, and put the shed on those.

I think that I screwed it down, but that isn't usually critical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-02-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Any advice would be welcome. I need a base for a shed 6ft x 8ft, I have had
one quote for £400.00 for labour only, I am to supply the materials i.e.
cement, sand, chippings and paving slabs. I was told to buy 10 bags of
each.

It seems a bit expensive as I have seen Hawklok tiles which would be quite
cheap in comparison and I could lay them myself.

Does this quote of £400.00 sound fair, bearing in mind that the small shed
is costing £200.00.

If you use ready mix - its about £150 for the 1st cu m (approx 30
barrow loads), If your 6 x 8 shed is to go onto 100mm of concrete,
that equates to approx 0.5 cu m (15 barrow loads).

Invariably there will be a excess charge for small amounts, so you
could be paying about £100 for the concrete.

You would have to make a wooden former for the concrete first, only a
couple of hours to level etc.

The concrete has to be shifted within 2hrs before it goes off.

So all in all
Ready mix £100
Gardeners Mileage @40p/mile etc £20
Wood for former £10
3hrs to level and make wood former
2hrs to shift concrete and level
1 hr return to remove wood former
= 6 hrs @ £15/hr = £90

Total £220 but round it up lets say £300 all in.

I am doing one at the moment that is 4 times the amount of concrete
and turfing the surround and removing excess top soil for £600
Old 20-02-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:

| You'd probably just need a few bags of sharp sand to make levelling the
| slabs easier, but cement isn't usually necessary. Get one level and pack
| the rest out as you go.

Dead right. This is what I did - for my 10'x8' shed:

Levelled the ground, trod it down well, raked it level, and iterated
until it was within about 1/2" of the same level all over.

Laid a 1-2" layer of sharp sand, levelled, trod and raked, and laid
the slabs, adjusting by adding or removing sand as necessary.

Put several tanalised bearers (2"x4", if I recall), long side up,
to keep the underneath ventilated, and put the shed on those.

I think that I screwed it down, but that isn't usually critical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fifteen years ago I put a 6*8 shed on 4"*4" tanalised timber bearers
directly on the soil. A few months ago we moved the shed and the bearers
were as new. ( we did have guttering /water butt so the area under the
shed was bone dry). Time taken - minutes, expense - minimal.

Paul Luton

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 20-02-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
| | You'd probably just need a few bags of sharp sand to make
levelling the | slabs easier, but cement isn't usually necessary. Get
one level and pack | the rest out as you go.

Dead right. This is what I did - for my 10'x8' shed:

Levelled the ground, trod it down well, raked it level, and iterated
until it was within about 1/2" of the same level all over.

Laid a 1-2" layer of sharp sand, levelled, trod and raked, and laid
the slabs, adjusting by adding or removing sand as necessary.

Put several tanalised bearers (2"x4", if I recall), long side up,
to keep the underneath ventilated, and put the shed on those.

I think that I screwed it down, but that isn't usually critical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fifteen years ago I put a 6*8 shed on 4"*4" tanalised timber bearers
directly on the soil. A few months ago we moved the shed and the bearers
were as new. ( we did have guttering /water butt so the area under the
shed was bone dry). Time taken - minutes, expense - minimal.

Paul Luton

In September 1986 when I moved into this house, I had a 10' x 8' shed laid
on 4" x 4" tantalised straight onto the bare earth.

Still there :-))

21 and a bit years!!

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 20-02-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:55:09 +0000, Paul Luton wrote:

Fifteen years ago I put a 6*8 shed on 4"*4" tanalised timber bearers
directly on the soil. A few months ago we moved the shed and the bearers
were as new. ( we did have guttering /water butt so the area under the
shed was bone dry). Time taken - minutes, expense - minimal.

That is what our shed is on. The shed had more rot than the treated
timbers laid on the ground. Nno guttering but still fine and dry
underneath. The only drawback is the rabbits who like burrowing under
there if we leave a bunny sized gap. And inch gap all round is plenty for
ventillation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Base for garden shed? Ed Gardening 45 09-08-2011 03:03 AM
Concrete Shed base questions Rob United Kingdom 8 28-08-2007 02:46 PM
Base for a shed. news.giganews.com United Kingdom 11 30-04-2005 08:38 PM
Shed Base Fredrick Skoog United Kingdom 2 17-05-2003 01:08 PM
Sealing the base of a garden shed. Barry Watts United Kingdom 1 07-04-2003 03:32 AM