Old 01-05-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Derris powder/liquid

Hi to all as this is my first posting to this Newsgroup, may I
congratulate all contributers for providing over the last couple of
years or so I have been lurking here both entertaining and informative
reading .
The reason I have come out of lurk mode is before I rush out and buy a
quantity of Derris powder/liquid, I would be interested to know what
other gardeners experience of this product is, which is more effective
liquid or powder, and what is it's overall effectiveness as a Organic
Pest control, suggestions for any other home made or branded Pest
control appreciated .

Old 02-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi to all as this is my first posting to this Newsgroup, may I
congratulate all contributers for providing over the last couple of
years or so I have been lurking here both entertaining and informative
reading .
The reason I have come out of lurk mode is before I rush out and buy a
quantity of Derris powder/liquid, I would be interested to know what
other gardeners experience of this product is, which is more effective
liquid or powder, and what is it's overall effectiveness as a Organic
Pest control, suggestions for any other home made or branded Pest
control appreciated .

My experience has been negative. It's not very effective, even in
liquid form, and the power is a waste of time and money. I found
liquid pyrethrum moderately effective, but you can buy only the
synthetic form, but liquid soap (Savona) seems as good as anything
and a lot more economical. The great advantage of liquid soap (or
washing up liquid and methylated spirits mixture) is that you can
drench the plants without harm to humans (or usually the plant).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi to all as this is my first posting to this Newsgroup, may I
congratulate all contributers for providing over the last couple of
years or so I have been lurking here both entertaining and informative
reading .

You might be interested to know, that I for one, suspect that this newsgroup
has one of the largest groups of lurkers in the newsgroup world. I certainly
get a lot of response to my sig in this newsgroup. :-))

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past