Old 03-02-2003, 10:33 PM
eddy

Default seed compost layering

i was reading a book on propagation where it suggests using layers of
compost say John Innes 3 2 1 and seed compost in layers thereby not
needing to disturb them by potting them on.
Now this seems a damn good idea to me.
Is anyone using this setup?
surely it must be a foolproof way of raising those seeds?

my delphiniums seem to have ground to a halt.
they were doing fine,i changed them into some general purpose
compost,back in the propagator to let them stabilise and they are
doing nothing.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Paul England

"eddy" wrote in message
i was reading a book on propagation where it suggests using layers of
compost say John Innes 3 2 1 and seed compost in layers thereby not
needing to disturb them by potting them on.
Now this seems a damn good idea to me.
Is anyone using this setup?
surely it must be a foolproof way of raising those seeds?

my delphiniums seem to have ground to a halt.
they were doing fine,i changed them into some general purpose
compost,back in the propagator to let them stabilise and they are
doing nothing.

I think root aclimatisation, from seed tray to pot to garden must vary from
plant to plant. I found in the past, that some plants, which were grown in
peat, were reluctant to leave the root-ball (even after a long soak), when
transplanted into the garden, resulting in a poor plant specimen.
For the last couple of years, the bottom layer of one inch, in seed tray or
pot, has been garden soil/J.I. seed compost mix. There has been a marked
improvement in root growth.
However, I must admit to having no experience with delphiniums, they may be
a law unto themselves, but I am sure there are some delphiniumophiles in the
n.g., who will assist. Anyhoo, I hope this helps.
Regards ........ Paul