Old 11-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] layering observation and question

is it ok to air layer at two places on the same branch at the same time...
if it is a large branch (about 3/4 to 1 inch thick) and there is sufficient
foliage above both layers? i am thinking about doing this on a zelkova in
the spring.

when ever i read about people developing their bonsai in the ground from
wild stock or collecting from the wild... i never see anyone mention
layering. it seems to me that you would have a better chance of having the
tree survive and developing a good nebari. aside from there maybe not being
enough time or circumstance for a particular tree, are wild trees difficult
to layer? or am i not reading enough??

:C ) steve lancaster pa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Carl L Rosner

Steve:
I have never air layered two places on one branch, so I will leave the
answer to your question to someone who has tried it. For myself, I
wouldn't do it.

I guess the answer to air layering would have to be how much time you
have to develop a good root base and Nebari. Those who collect (and I
am jealous of them) have ready made good foundations for their trees.

Roots develop over years. Obviously, each method has its place based on
the person's sense of time and patience.... I would think it is a
personal choice.

Carl L. Rosner

Old 12-03-2003, 03:24 AM
JRA BONSAI

Steve,

I've done this a number of times, usually with Japanese maples. It has been
very successful with easy to root varieties but not as good result with the
slow to root varieties.

Julian Adams
Adams' Bonsai
Lynchburg, VA