Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Ros Butt

Default ridge cucumbers

I have just bought on impulse, a "Ridge Cucumber" plant in the garden
centre, on the basis of remembering somebody telling me that they needed no
fertilisation. Upon reading my gardening bible when I got home it states
that fertilization IS important. Further reading suggests that some are
female and therefore apparently DON'T require fertilisation.

Unfortunately the label doesn't state what variety it is. I'm now more
than a bit confused! Can anybody advise what I should do. I've never
grown cucumbers before, only courgettes.

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ros Butt contains these words:

I have just bought on impulse, a "Ridge Cucumber" plant in the garden
centre, on the basis of remembering somebody telling me that they needed no
fertilisation. Upon reading my gardening bible when I got home it states
that fertilization IS important. Further reading suggests that some are
female and therefore apparently DON'T require fertilisation.

Unfortunately the label doesn't state what variety it is. I'm now more
than a bit confused! Can anybody advise what I should do. I've never
grown cucumbers before, only courgettes.

Just plant it out, the insects will do the pollinating. I've never had
to artificially pollinate ridge cucumbers.

I've never seen an all-female ridge cucumber plant - I think you can
rule that out, it'd be an F1 hybrid, and rather more expensive than
run-of-the-mill plants.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Ros Butt
writes
I have just bought on impulse, a "Ridge Cucumber" plant in the garden
centre, on the basis of remembering somebody telling me that they needed no
fertilisation. Upon reading my gardening bible when I got home it states
that fertilization IS important. Further reading suggests that some are
female and therefore apparently DON'T require fertilisation.

Unfortunately the label doesn't state what variety it is. I'm now more
than a bit confused! Can anybody advise what I should do. I've never
grown cucumbers before, only courgettes.

Many greenhouse cucumbers are all female F1, and they are self fertile.
Those that are not, like Telegraph, have to have their male flowers
pinched out or the fruits can be bitter. Ridge cucumbers (gherkins) grow
differently from that, they have to have their male flowers left on in
order to pollinate. A little help with hand pollination could make more
certain of getting a crop, but we've never had to do that. Gherkins are
best picked small and young, and taking them off will encourage more new
fruits to form.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

Many greenhouse cucumbers are all female F1, and they are self fertile.
Those that are not, like Telegraph, have to have their male flowers
pinched out or the fruits can be bitter. Ridge cucumbers (gherkins) grow
differently from that, they have to have their male flowers left on in
order to pollinate. A little help with hand pollination could make more
certain of getting a crop, but we've never had to do that. Gherkins are
best picked small and young, and taking them off will encourage more new
fruits to form.

I like them sliced in the usual way for cucumbers - stickleback and
cucumber sandwiches, anyone?