Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
How would they find out? Another unworkable law like the law making use
of mobiles while driving illegal. Who cares about abuse of vermin like
grey squirrels anyway?

How would who find out what?

Whilst many people accept the necessity of pest control, that doesn't

mean
they would condone wanton cruelty to the 'pest'. Would you think it OK

kill squirrels by roasting them alive over a slow fire, for example?

Would you consider a time of 10 seconds, or less, to death, cruelty?

Depends whether or not the '10 seconds' is filled with agony and suffering.
If the animal is shot through the head, it would usually be stunned
instantly. Drowning, IMO, is cruel in comparison.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Alan Holmes

"BAC" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
How would they find out? Another unworkable law like the law making
use
of mobiles while driving illegal. Who cares about abuse of vermin like
grey squirrels anyway?

How would who find out what?

Whilst many people accept the necessity of pest control, that doesn't

mean
they would condone wanton cruelty to the 'pest'. Would you think it OK

kill squirrels by roasting them alive over a slow fire, for example?

Would you consider a time of 10 seconds, or less, to death, cruelty?

Depends whether or not the '10 seconds' is filled with agony and
suffering.
If the animal is shot through the head, it would usually be stunned
instantly. Drowning, IMO, is cruel in comparison.

Perhaps you could advise me how to get a firearms licence which would enable
me to shoot the vermin.

And perhaps you could tell me how to make sure the vermin keeps still long
enough for me to aim a gun and pull the trigger?

It's quite clear that you have never had to deal with vermin in a trap.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

Perhaps you could advise me how to get a firearms licence which would enable
me to shoot the vermin.

And perhaps you could tell me how to make sure the vermin keeps still long
enough for me to aim a gun and pull the trigger?

It's quite clear that you have never had to deal with vermin in a trap.

Unless it is one hell of a large trap anything caught in it could easily
be despatched with an air gun which does not need a license.
I am in the position where I have a smallholding with shooting rights
over enough land to entitle me to a shotgun certificate should I require
one, but most of the vermin that we kill can easily be dispatched with
an air gun.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

Unless it is one hell of a large trap anything caught in it could easily
be despatched with an air gun which does not need a license.
I am in the position where I have a smallholding with shooting rights
over enough land to entitle me to a shotgun certificate should I require
one, but most of the vermin that we kill can easily be dispatched with
an air gun.

You don't need *ANY* land to be eligible for a shotgun certificate.

It can only be refused on the grounds of insanity, or having commited a
crime which carries a six month sentence or more - unless the Firearms
Act has been amended while I wasn't looking.

You don't even need somewhere to shoot - but you must have 'a secure
place' in which to keep your shotgun(s).

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

You don't need *ANY* land to be eligible for a shotgun certificate.

It can only be refused on the grounds of insanity, snip - unless the
Firearms
Act has been amended while I wasn't looking.

Well that excludes some people posting to this thead from holding a Shotgun
Certificate.

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
BAC

"BAC" wrote in message

"John Edgar" wrote in message
[...]

It's quite simple - you apply to the firearms licensing section of your
local police force. However, you do not currently need a firearms or shotgun
licence for an air rifle with a muzzle energy of 12 feet pounds or less,
which other posters state are sufficiently powerful to do the job you have
in mind.

And perhaps you could tell me how to make sure the vermin keeps still long
enough for me to aim a gun and pull the trigger?

I could make some suggestions, but I think you'd be better off seeking
advice from people with actual experience of humane destruction of grey
squirrels.

It's quite clear that you have never had to deal with vermin in a trap.

Depends what you mean by vermin. I've never trapped a squirrel, but if I
were to set out to do so, I'd first take the trouble to ensure I was capable
of dealing with the victim in a humane manner.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Totty

Perhaps you could advise me how to get a firearms licence which would

enable
me to shoot the vermin.

And perhaps you could tell me how to make sure the vermin keeps still

long
enough for me to aim a gun and pull the trigger?

It's quite clear that you have never had to deal with vermin in a

trap.

Here in Spain, my vet lends me a cat trap to use for catching feral
cats for speying and vaccination. This comes with a sliding side panel
which enables the cat to be pinned against one side of the trap while
it is anaesthatised before being removed. I'm sure something similar is
available in the UK.
Jo