Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-05-2005, 10:16 AM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

snip

So, the question seems to remain, is killing a captured squirrel by
drowning
'reasonably swift and humane',

Ten seconds!

Is that swift enough?

Drowning is not humane, in my opinion, FWIW, but maybe the courts would
take
a different view. RSPCA told me they would arrange for the matter to be
investigated, if a complaint were made on their cruelty hotline, and I
suppose that would be the first step.

But it is quick.

But the law doesn't say a method should be 'quick and easy', it says it
should be 'swift and humane'.

I first participated in this thread, IIRC, when someone asked whether
drowning trapped squirrels was 'legal' in this country. For the reasons I
have explained several times, I personally doubt whether it would be
regarded as a lawful means of dispatch. However, that decision would be up
to the prosecutors and ultimately the courts, not me, what's needed is a
test case.