Old 04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Chris

Default Talking to plants

Do you reckon talking to plants might actually work - because you are
giving them carbon dioxide?
An episode of Dr Who inspired this thought!
--
Chris
Old 04-05-2005, 09:12 AM
shazzbat

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Do you reckon talking to plants might actually work - because you are
giving them carbon dioxide?
An episode of Dr Who inspired this thought!
--

I've heard this claimed. I've also heard, and this I agree with, That when
you talk to your plants, you are paying them attention and therefore will

Steve

Impressed with Billie P as Rose.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Andrew

I would agree with Steve. In gardening you use all your senses when looking
at plants and constant touching, checking for watering picking off dead
leaves all this make for a healthy plant and if you talk to them at the
same time ............

Andrew Babicz
www.babicz.com

]...

Old 04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:12:09 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Do you reckon talking to plants might actually work - because you are
giving them carbon dioxide?
An episode of Dr Who inspired this thought!
--

I've heard this claimed. I've also heard, and this I agree with, That when
you talk to your plants, you are paying them attention and therefore will
notice if they need watering/ repotting/whatever, and this is why they
thrive.

It's the old nature/nurture debate - and I decided to test it last
year with six courgette plants.

I provided two environments; one rich in well-rotted farmyard manure,
the other simply plain soil a suitable distance away.
I placed two courgette plants in each patch ( a suitable distance
apart ), all of the same variety.

I then selected one plant in each patch and marked it down for special
treatment and convivial banter. The remaining plants were selected for
verbal abuse.

I created a control patch with the same conditions, again with two
courgette plants, which would receive nothing but bog-standard
tending.

From a period of early May through to the end of the season I
cultivated the plants.
Whenever I tended the plants I always approached the plants selected
for preferential treatment first, greeted them, enquired of their
health, kept them abreast of events in the household, and complimented
them on their fine flowers and fruits.
On particularly fine days I read Thurber to them, and Frank
Muir/Dennis Norden essays from the 'Complete and Utter My Word'.

As regards the plants singled out for abuse I swore at them, called
into question their pedigree and breeding, ridiculed the size of their
fruits and threatened them with a scythe.

The only difference I noted at the end of the trial was that the
plants grown in less rich soil were about 25% smaller, though by no
means less productive.
Each plant was left with one fruit on at the end of the season to grow
on into a marrow - and this time the plants on richer soil provided
slightly larger fruits.

I was also completely bloody sick of courgettes, and so was everyone
else I'd offloaded the surplus on.

This year I shall be trialling flea beetle deterrents using pictures
of Jimmy Saville and Mo Mowlem.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
p00kie

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:12:09 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
[...]

From a period of early May through to the end of the season I
[...]

Brilliant tale Stephen ... is it courgettes this year :-)

Old 04-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Sacha

On 4/5/05 17:55, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

wrote:

It's the old nature/nurture debate - and I decided to test it last
year with six courgette plants.

I provided two environments; one rich in well-rotted farmyard manure,
the other simply plain soil a suitable distance away.
I placed two courgette plants in each patch ( a suitable distance
apart ), all of the same variety.

I then selected one plant in each patch and marked it down for special
treatment and convivial banter. The remaining plants were selected for
verbal abuse.

Apparently the same experiment has been conducted daily on urg for
years past. Here are the results, leaked from a BBC memo from
Gardener's World to Home Truths:

"Gardeners on urg demonstrated that a varied diet of verbal
encouragement, convivial conversation, compost, sunshine, occasional
chills and digging, and small forkfulls of bull shit, produces hardy,
fertile stock and tasty reliable crops year after year.

Trolls on urg demonstrate the poor result of being ignored. Sowing
their own seed in the manner of Onan, they tend to germinate on top of
their own manure heap, then develop large empty heads which are not
worth harvesting They are stunted by the constant drip of toxic drivel
down their chins while verbally abusing others, and never flower.
Despite the application of large amounts of urea, they are a barren and
tasteless crop. Probably the result of failed genetic modification."

Janet.

Perfick. ;-) I once heard of someone with a budgie called Onan....
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:08:38 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Do you reckon talking to plants might actually work - because you are
giving them carbon dioxide?
An episode of Dr Who inspired this thought!

If that's the case, giving them a daily blast with a carbon dioxide
fire extinguisher should work wonders. We look forward to hearing the
results of your experiments.

--
Chris

Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:21:57 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Perfick. ;-) I once heard of someone with a budgie called Onan....

LOL. A messy eater I presume!

--
Chris

Old 05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:08:38 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Do you reckon talking to plants might actually work - because you are
giving them carbon dioxide?
An episode of Dr Who inspired this thought!

I talked to my Hazel, but everyone said I was nuts.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
p.mc

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:08:38 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Do you reckon talking to plants might actually work - because you are
giving them carbon dioxide?
An episode of Dr Who inspired this thought!

Would it be considered cruel if one suffers from halitosis though? Or could
it be beneficial because of it's odour, likened to manure?

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Old 05-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Mike

A bit like talking horse shit!

Please don't bring politics in to gardening.

Talking of politics;-)

A lobbyist, on his way home from work in London, came to a dead halt in
traffic and thought to himself, "This traffic seems worse than usual."

Then he noticed a police officer walking between the lines of stopped cars
so he rolled down his window and asked, ! "Officer, what's the holdup?"

The officer replied, "Tony Blair is depressed, so he stopped his motorcade
and is threatening to douse himself with petrol and set himself on fire.

He says no one believes his stories about why we went to war in Iraq, or
that his tax cuts will help anyone except his wealthy friends.

So we're taking up a collection for him."
The lobbyist asked, "How much have you got so far?"

The officer replied, "About forty gallons - but a lot of folks are still
siphoning."

Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]