Old 04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
shell

Default Getting rid of ivy

We have so much of the damn stuff in our garden, we've tried digging it up,
but the roots are so fine they snap off.

How can I get rid of it without damaging the other plants in the garden?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Tumbleweed

"shell" wrote in message ...
We have so much of the damn stuff in our garden, we've tried digging it
up, but the roots are so fine they snap off.

How can I get rid of it without damaging the other plants in the garden?

Thanks

put glyphosphate on it. Or cut off what you can and then cover it with black
plastic or similar for a long time (several months) over the growing season.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-05-2005, 07:40 AM
shell

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"shell" wrote in message
We have so much of the damn stuff in our garden, we've tried digging it
up, but the roots are so fine they snap off.

How can I get rid of it without damaging the other plants in the garden?

Thanks

put glyphosphate on it. Or cut off what you can and then cover it with
black plastic or similar for a long time (several months) over the growing
season.

--
Tumbleweed

Thanks, I'll try that.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Stephen Howard

"shell" wrote in message
We have so much of the damn stuff in our garden, we've tried digging it
up, but the roots are so fine they snap off.

How can I get rid of it without damaging the other plants in the garden?

Thanks

put glyphosphate on it. Or cut off what you can and then cover it with
black plastic or similar for a long time (several months) over the growing
season.

--
Tumbleweed

Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm none too convinced that black plastic will stop it.
One side of my veg patch butts up against a boundary hedge which
contains a lot of ivy. I realised from the off that I'd need to
prevent the ivy from encroaching on the veg patch so I dug a trench
about a foot deep alongside the hedge and place a sheet of thick black
plastic in it, leaving the remaining foot or so to extend back towards
the hedge. I then refilled the trench and laid flints over the plastic
on the surface ( well, I had to do something with all the bloody flint
I dug up! ).

The ivy that scrambled through the flints was easy enough to deal with
- I just pulled it off - but in time I found that it had worked its
way through the plastic underground. It will find the slightest hole -
and whilst I was sure the plastic was in good order when I laid it I
guess some plants ( or perhaps burrowing animals and insects ) can
make their way through it.

The problem, as I see it, is that the roots can travel a fair distance
if the host plant has any access to light - in which case the only
real effective means of control is to get rid of it altogether. Given
its propensity for climbing it's not always possible to cover every
last leaf with plastic.

Unfortunately for me I rather like its presence in my hedges ( as long
as it's kept under a degree of control ), so I'll either have to live
with it or think about some form of "no-man's-land" trench alongside
the hedge.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Tumbleweed

"shell" wrote in message
[...]

It depends, its worked for me on a border which is about 5m x 1m, but there
is no ivy on the other side of the fence etc to recolonise that area. The
plastic has been on for 3 years now, covered in bark chippings. In this
particular site, under trees, next to a fence, nothing else will grow there,
as its too dark, & too dry. Unfortunately the ivy was starting was starting
to spread into the lawn.

FWIW the plastic I used is left over pond liner so its pretty tough.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:38:05 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

snip

It depends, its worked for me on a border which is about 5m x 1m, but there
is no ivy on the other side of the fence etc to recolonise that area. The
plastic has been on for 3 years now, covered in bark chippings. In this
particular site, under trees, next to a fence, nothing else will grow there,
as its too dark, & too dry. Unfortunately the ivy was starting was starting
to spread into the lawn.

FWIW the plastic I used is left over pond liner so its pretty tough.

I think the combination of not having a source of regrowth and the far
superior strength of pond lining material would be the key here.

Come to think of it - that's perhaps the way I should go. I bought the
toughest plastic I could find, but pond liner would be a better bet
I'm sure.

I've got to dig a trench anyway - but I can't say I'm looking forward
to moving all those flints!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Brian Watson

"shell" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

put glyphosphate on it.

Thanks, I'll try that.

If that fails, and it will because of its waxy leaves, dynamite it.
--
Brian
"Vote for Number 6"

Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM