Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 AM
peterlsutton

Default Annual cuttings ?

I know it is a silly question, but can you take cuttings of annuals. By
annuals, I mean true annuals, not half hardy perennials that are sold as
annuals.

And if you can, do they overwinter? I know it is a bit academic, but as a
newbie to gardening I am interested in how plants work.

Peter

Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
peterlsutton wrote:
I know it is a silly question, but can you take cuttings of annuals. By
annuals, I mean true annuals, not half hardy perennials that are sold as
annuals.

Some, but not many. Those that take tend to do so easily. Those
that are reluctant tend to need laboratory facilities. That is,
of course, an exaggeration and over-simplification.

And if you can, do they overwinter? I know it is a bit academic, but as a
newbie to gardening I am interested in how plants work.

Much the same answer. There is no hard-and-fast boundary between
the categories of plant, and we grow quite a few tropical perennials
as annuals (e.g. basil). Many plants are annual if planted early
in good conditions and biennial otherwise; they can often be made
to last longer by removing their flowering shoots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
peterlsutton wrote:
I know it is a silly question, but can you take cuttings of annuals.
By annuals, I mean true annuals, not half hardy perennials that are
sold as annuals.

Some, but not many. Those that take tend to do so easily. Those
that are reluctant tend to need laboratory facilities. That is,
of course, an exaggeration and over-simplification.

And if you can, do they overwinter? I know it is a bit academic,
but as a newbie to gardening I am interested in how plants work.

Much the same answer. There is no hard-and-fast boundary between
the categories of plant, and we grow quite a few tropical perennials
as annuals (e.g. basil). Many plants are annual if planted early
in good conditions and biennial otherwise; they can often be made
to last longer by removing their flowering shoots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I wouldn't call the Mediterranean 'tropical', Nick. Tropical tends to imply
a climate with two very distinct seasons - one wet, one dry. The Med still
has four seasons (although the winters are somewhat short).

Of course, if basil /does/ grow in the tropics, I retract the above
statement and apologise. OTOH, there are many plants grown here that /did/
originate in true tropical climates (e.g. tree ferns, bamboo, Heliconia and
Canna to name a few).

I apologise if anyone feels I'm being pedantic.

Sarah

Old 05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

I wouldn't call the Mediterranean 'tropical', Nick.

Nor would I.

Tropical tends to imply
a climate with two very distinct seasons - one wet, one dry. The Med still
has four seasons (although the winters are somewhat short).

Not at all. Some places have no seasons - e.g. hot and wet or hot and
dry all year - and others may have more than one rainy season. Try
Port Harcourt for the former, and Nairobi for the latter.

Of course, if basil /does/ grow in the tropics, I retract the above
statement and apologise. OTOH, there are many plants grown here that /did/
originate in true tropical climates (e.g. tree ferns, bamboo, Heliconia and
Canna to name a few).

It does, and that is where it originated :-) You need not apologise!
It probably does grow as a perennial around the Mediterranean, in the
more frost-free areas, if kept well-watered.

I apologise if anyone feels I'm being pedantic.

If I were to object to THAT, you would be fully justified in accusing
me of hypocrisy :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:47 PM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
peterlsutton wrote:
[...]

OH!
Seems it grows in Greece and India.........went a googling and found:

Basil was named after Basilik, the mythical Greek king of dragon snakes, whose
breath was so strong it could kill plants. For many, many years, basil was used
in religious ceremonies and in cooking. It was even grown in the windowsills of
houses to keep out flies.

More interestings tuff at:
http://homecooking.about.com/library.../aa102201b.htm

Jenny

Old 07-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

Shows what I know doesn't it? I'll get me coat...