Old 10-05-2005, 11:56 PM
goldfinch

Default Black water

Hi,

My project for this summer is to grow a tropical water lily, that will spend
the "hottest" months outside in the sunniest place on the patio. Hopefully
this has not consigned us all to a cold summer ;-)

I have a large black tub to grow it in and will have an aquarium heater
installed to keep the water temperature warm enough on colder nights, but I
know that algae will grow rampantly in such conditions.

So I wondered whether the black dye used to colour water in Kew's pond was
available to buy, and if so what it is? They added it to stop algal growth
and it obviously didn't affect the plants. (Saw it on "A Year at Kew")

Any ideas, or has anyone tried using it?

TIA
Marina
E. Sx

Old 11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Camilla Peake

Never having replied before, I hope I get this right. Try Ponds.UK.com.
I saw something similar on this site.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Paul

goldfinch wrote:

Hi,

My project for this summer is to grow a tropical water lily, that will spend
the "hottest" months outside in the sunniest place on the patio. Hopefully
this has not consigned us all to a cold summer ;-)

I have a large black tub to grow it in and will have an aquarium heater
installed to keep the water temperature warm enough on colder nights, but I
know that algae will grow rampantly in such conditions.

So I wondered whether the black dye used to colour water in Kew's pond was
available to buy, and if so what it is? They added it to stop algal growth
and it obviously didn't affect the plants. (Saw it on "A Year at Kew")

Any ideas, or has anyone tried using it?

TIA
Marina
E. Sx

This place supply it

http://www.waterways-direct.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4876

Paul
Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Paul

goldfinch wrote:

Hi,

My project for this summer is to grow a tropical water lily, that will spend
the "hottest" months outside in the sunniest place on the patio. Hopefully
this has not consigned us all to a cold summer ;-)

I have a large black tub to grow it in and will have an aquarium heater
installed to keep the water temperature warm enough on colder nights, but I
know that algae will grow rampantly in such conditions.

So I wondered whether the black dye used to colour water in Kew's pond was
available to buy, and if so what it is? They added it to stop algal growth
and it obviously didn't affect the plants. (Saw it on "A Year at Kew")

Any ideas, or has anyone tried using it?

TIA
Marina
E. Sx

Just notice bradshaws sell it and their service is normally very good.
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/NIWEED.htm

Paul
Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 AM
goldfinch

So I wondered whether the black dye used to colour water in Kew's pond

was
available to buy, and if so what it is? They added it to stop algal

growth
and it obviously didn't affect the plants. (Saw it on "A Year at Kew")

Any ideas, or has anyone tried using it?

Marina

Just notice bradshaws sell it and their service is normally very good.
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/NIWEED.htm

Paul

----
Thanks Camilla and Paul ;-)

I will try Bradshaws first, as like you, I have found them very good in the
past.

Best wishes,
Marina