Old 14-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default oak garden furniture

Does anyone have any recommendations for oak garden chairs/seats?

Trying to find a nice bench and also two armchairs but has been a slow
trawl through websites etc but either the benches are (at 6oo pounds)
way out of my league or they have solid backs.

Know there must be oak furniture sellers out there but Google can only
find about three.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 14-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Theo Markettos

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for oak garden chairs/seats?

Trying to find a nice bench and also two armchairs but has been a slow
trawl through websites etc but either the benches are (at 6oo pounds)
way out of my league or they have solid backs.

Don't laugh, but... ebay? Searching for 'bench' in Gardening & Plants turns
up 243 hits, some of which seem like what you're after at slightly more sane
prices. You can also search for items within XX miles of postcode to find
ones within collecting distance.

Just an idea...
Theo
Old 14-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Theo Markettos
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for oak garden chairs/seats?

Trying to find a nice bench and also two armchairs but has been a slow
trawl through websites etc but either the benches are (at 6oo pounds)
way out of my league or they have solid backs.

Don't laugh, but... ebay? Searching for 'bench' in Gardening & Plants turns
up 243 hits, some of which seem like what you're after at slightly more sane
prices. You can also search for items within XX miles of postcode to find
ones within collecting distance.

Just an idea...
Theo

Yes tried Ebay thanks Theo but Ebay stuff is fine for bottom of garden
bench but not for patio chairs. Though stuff is made of oak the
items don't look like they'd last too long.
Think I'll bite the bullet and save up for one good chair and wait for
second

Janet
Old 15-05-2005, 03:26 PM
RDD

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Does anyone have any recommendations for oak garden chairs/seats?

Trying to find a nice bench and also two armchairs but has been a slow
trawl through websites etc but either the benches are (at 6oo pounds)
way out of my league or they have solid backs.

Know there must be oak furniture sellers out there but Google can only
find about three.

janet

If you would consider teak, we bought a superb 3 seater bench from
http://www.swanhattersley.co.uk. From Wyevale (sp?) circa £230 last
year; flat pack.

The Henley range http://tinyurl.com/dsndr .Extremely comfortable
for both of us ( me being 6ft+ and my wife 5ft 3) . The bench is not too
heavy so it can be easily moved when cutting lawn etc.

Our next purchase will be the Henley Duet http://tinyurl.com/79nxy
also very comfortable and you can support a parasol through the table.
Some good combo deals at the local garden centres. Circa £399 including
parasol & base this year

End of season should be a good time for savings.

Good luck.
--
Daniel
www.mohon.org The Designer Grass people
Old 16-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

RDD wrote:
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
[...]

If you *must* have teak, please make sure it's Tropical Hardwood Commission
approved. Teak (and mahogany) both come from SW Asia, and the forests are
home to many endangered species, including one of the four great apes, the
orangutan. The THC ensures that all tropical hardwood sold for use in the
West has come from sustainable sources (much of it FairTrade) and has not
been illegally logged.

Buy oak - it looks just as good as teak, and the Forestry Commission ensures
it comes from properly managed woodland. The main reason it's so expensive
is because (like teak) it's incredibly slow growing.

I won't purchase anything made from a tropical hardwood unless I can be sure
of its provenance and can trace it. Swan Hattersley do *NOT* declare the
provenance of their merchandise, therefore I'd think extremely seriously two
or three times before purchase.

Get your priorities right - which do you consider more important: - you
having garden furniture; or your children being able to see orangs in the
wild? At the rate mahogany and teak forests are being destroyed, the orang
will be extinct by the time I'm 40 (I'm 29 now).

]Sobering thought, isn't it?

Old 21-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Warwick

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from RDD contains these words:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Does anyone have any recommendations for oak garden chairs/seats?

Trying to find a nice bench and also two armchairs but has been a slow
trawl through websites etc but either the benches are (at 6oo pounds)
way out of my league or they have solid backs.

far east).

Somewhere or other I saw a recent report about the legitimate, or
not, provenance of hardwood garden furniture in the UK market, which
you might want to look up in a websearch. IIRC, B and Q were beacons of
virtue, for once :-)

Heard reasonably recently on R4 the point that if you look at how much
renewable Teak is produced and how much furniture made from Teak is on the
market at any given time bearing renewable stickers that there is a huge
discrepancy B&Q have come out well in in that one too. Apparently they're
trying to do the right thing. Also commented was that they slowed down some
quarry project by pointing out to the supplier that they wouldn't be buying
product from that supplier if they ignored the local community protests
near to the quarry site. Last time I had to buy some extra compost (earlier
this spring when the heap was dormant and I wanted to get a lot of seeds on
the go), I popped into the local B&Q to find that the only compost with any
comment about peat use was their own brand which admitted to using some
peat although less than they had on previous years and an intent to make a
compost that performs almost as well without in the next couple of years.

On the down side, I recently decided to splash out on a couple of trowels
that weren't thin folded steel and went for what *looked* like solid
moulded ones. The polished appearance where the shank meets the blade
seemed to suggest that. The polished appearance was due to the weld being
polished out of sight, unfortunately it was also overdone and one of the
trowels lasted less than 5 minutes with a honeycombed structure showing up
in the snap. When I went to get the replacement I looked more closely and
it took me a while before I found one in the box without the telltale of a
bad weld. I turned up at the exchange counter with a dozen trowels. "This
one is fine, I'll take it. These 11 have major bad welds and will come back
to you if you sell them since they'll snap under any stress. As I left, the
assistant was heading back out to the garden section with the 10 intact
ones that were left after my flexing one to show the weakness

Warwick
Old 21-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:25:18 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for oak garden chairs/seats?

Trying to find a nice bench and also two armchairs but has been a slow
trawl through websites etc but either the benches are (at 6oo pounds)
way out of my league or they have solid backs.

By chance we happened to see a company called Meadow Designs who were
displaying their garden furniture in Ludlow. They make in oak if you
want. They don't seem to have their own web site, but are on the
Hereford Craft Guild one, at:

http://www.herefordcraftguild.org.uk...#meadowdesigns

Their email address is there and other info, but I know absolutely
nothing about them apart from that. They do deliver, by the way.

Sally Thompson
Old 24-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sally Thompson
writes

By chance we happened to see a company called Meadow Designs who were
displaying their garden furniture in Ludlow. They make in oak if you
want. They don't seem to have their own web site, but are on the
Hereford Craft Guild one, at:

http://www.herefordcraftguild.org.uk...#meadowdesigns

Their email address is there and other info, but I know absolutely
nothing about them apart from that. They do deliver, by the way.

Sally Thompson

Thanks sally for the information. We have found Battles bridge |Mills as
well though they are pricey!