Old 15-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Iris unguicularis

I have a couple of questions about I. unguicularis

I have a bluish one, maybe 'Walter Butt', which is planted at the base
of a south-facing wall as recommended. It has slowly bulked up. Two
years ago it flowered on and off quite well and last year it was
constantly in flower, a few blooms at a time, for the whole winter.
This year a big let-down. I haven't yet had a single flower and I
wondered if anyone could guess why it might be. I assume it must be to
do with temperature at vital times but whether last summer's
temperatures or the winter's temperatures I haven't a clue.

Secondly, I've rooted an off-cut from it and I'm wondering where to
plant it. I've run out of south-facing wall and I'm wondering whether
it's unlikely to flower (especially judging by this winter's
performance) in a south facing sheltered border among shrubs etc. Any
experience of getting it to flower in less than ideal situations?

Many thanks
Janet G
Old 15-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Dwayne

I don't know what your problem is, but here is what I know about iris.
Maybe it will hit on something to give you the answer.

How deep did you plant it. Iris will do well if laid on the ground, but
prefer to be only half covered with dirt. I don't know what pH they
require, but you might check that. They need to be watered, but not overly
so.

Temperature hasn't been a big problem to me. They survive cold weather very
well. In warmer climates, they can have a bug problem in their root system.
After 3 or so years they need to be dug up, broke apart, and replanted or
composted. If you don't, they will crowd themselves out. Mine quit
blooming after 7 years. After replanted, it takes two years to bloom.

I have them planted on the north side of the house. They get about 4 hours
of sunlight in the morning and 2 or 3 more in the evening. This is the
second year for them, so I will soon find out if they do OK.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...

Old 15-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Sue

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote
I have a couple of questions about I. unguicularis

I have a bluish one, maybe 'Walter Butt',

snip
This year a big let-down. I haven't yet had a single flower and I
wondered if anyone could guess why it might be. I assume it must be to
do with temperature at vital times but whether last summer's
temperatures or the winter's temperatures I haven't a clue.

I believe it's to do with getting baked enough during the previous summer.
Hot dry summers usually bring good flush of flowers the following late
winter/spring.

Secondly, I've rooted an off-cut from it and I'm wondering where to
plant it. I've run out of south-facing wall and I'm wondering whether
it's unlikely to flower (especially judging by this winter's
performance) in a south facing sheltered border among shrubs etc. Any
experience of getting it to flower in less than ideal situations?

Mine hardly ever flowered until I read in one of Gertrude Jekyll's books
how she found hers did best in very nearly rubble at the foot of a wall.
However, my neighbour has one in the open which does well, but it needs to
be somewhere with poorish soil and where it can get all the sun going. They
cut all the foliage right back after flowering which also seems to help.

Sue

Old 15-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:52:51 GMT, Janet Galpin and Oliver
Patterson wrote:

I have a couple of questions about I. unguicularis

...a bluish one, maybe 'Walter Butt'...planted at the base
of a south-facing wall...
This year a big let-down. I haven't yet had a single flower and I
wondered if anyone could guess why it might be. I assume it must be to
do with temperature at vital times but whether last summer's
temperatures or the winter's temperatures I haven't a clue.

Try cutting the foliage off at the end of July so the rhizomes
get a good ripening. And pour a bucket of any old soluble
fertilizer on the things. They are fairly gross feeders. I'd say
that you could fertilize now, but I gather the UK is having some
nastily cold weather, so wait until spring has more perfectly
sprung.

Secondly, I've rooted an off-cut from it and I'm wondering where to
plant it. I've run out of south-facing wall and I'm wondering whether
it's unlikely to flower (especially judging by this winter's
performance) in a south facing sheltered border among shrubs etc. Any
experience of getting it to flower in less than ideal situations?

I have one clump hiding behing a huge Cytisus battandieri where
it gets little direct sun -- but it flowers.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada