Old 18-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered User

Cool Best Wheelbarrow

The price of wheelbarrows varies enormously but Argos/Index was selling a 60 litre barrow for £20 and homebase/B&Q were selling a 80 litre flatpack barrow for £15 (OK it was flatpack).

Can anyone confirm if it was B&Q or Homebase? Have you seen a better offer. Up here in Caithness it will have to be from one of the big stores next trip to Inverness.
Old 18-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Duncan Heenan

--
JohnOGroats

I can't answer that, but personally I've always bought and used builders
barrows from Builders Merchants. They're a bit more expensive, but much more
robust, and so last longer and can be used for all sorts of work, including
really heavy stuff.

Old 18-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Chris Bacon

Duncan Heenan wrote:
"JohnOGroats" wrote...
The price of wheelbarrows varies enormously but Argos/Index was selling
a 60 litre barrow for £20 and homebase/B&Q were selling a 80 litre
flatpack barrow for £15 (OK it was flatpack).

personally I've always bought and used builders
barrows from Builders Merchants. They're a bit more expensive, but much more
robust, and so last longer and can be used for all sorts of work, including
really heavy stuff.

That's true - also, they've a pneumatic tyre, which makes them
much nicer to use, and a "nose" to tip them up on, which many
"garden barrows" unfortunately don't have. Makes a big difference.

http://tinyurl.com/c3xur

is one from Travis Perkins, which means that it will be cheaper
almost anywhere else. The sort of barrow with a metal strap
around the rim seem to be better than the pressed ones, but
you don't see them so often! Also, you can get spares for
barrows bought from BMs.
Old 18-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Holly in France

On Wed, 18 May 2005 09:44:00 +0100, Duncan Heenan wrote:

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

The price of wheelbarrows varies enormously but Argos/Index was selling
a 60 litre barrow for £20 and homebase/B&Q were selling a 80 litre
flatpack barrow for £15 (OK it was flatpack).

Can anyone confirm if it was B&Q or Homebase? Have you seen a better
offer. Up here in Caithness it will have to be from one of the big
stores next trip to Inverness.

--
JohnOGroats

I can't answer that, but personally I've always bought and used builders
barrows from Builders Merchants. They're a bit more expensive, but much more
robust, and so last longer and can be used for all sorts of work, including
really heavy stuff.

I agree, builders barrows are marvellous for gardening, unless one happens
to be married to a builder! They tend, along with good black plastic
buckets, to get 'borrowed'. We have four and I can never find one when I
want one! Chris B is right about the pneumatic tyres, these make a huge
difference. A good big plastic barrow with a proper tyre would be the best
combination IMO.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
Old 18-05-2005, 12:32 PM
pammyT

Duncan Heenan wrote:
"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

The price of wheelbarrows varies enormously but Argos/Index was
selling a 60 litre barrow for £20 and homebase/B&Q were selling a 80
litre flatpack barrow for £15 (OK it was flatpack).

Can anyone confirm if it was B&Q or Homebase? Have you seen a better
offer. Up here in Caithness it will have to be from one of the big
stores next trip to Inverness.

--
JohnOGroats

I can't answer that, but personally I've always bought and used
builders barrows from Builders Merchants. They're a bit more
expensive, but much more robust, and so last longer and can be used
for all sorts of work, including really heavy stuff.

I have to agree. The last time I bought a cheapo self assembly jobby from
B&Q it lasted a whole 6 months. The handles came loose and wobbled no matter
how many times I tightened the nuts, the body rusted and bent and it sits
in the garden now waitng to be filled with compost. For a wheelbarrow it
makes a useful planter.
I no longer use wheelbarrows in any case thanks to my back problem. I
simply find lifting and pushing too difficult, added to which as a short
person If I wanted the barrow legs to clear the ground I had to lift, then
bend my arms too. I now have a garden barrow. Not cheap at around £80 but
boy is it useful. no pushing, you get loads on it. Fantastic and worth every
penny IMHO.

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 18-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Mike

Whatever you do or whatever you buy, make sure it is NOT one made by the
Walsall Wheelbarrow Company.

RUBBISH

Nice looking to start with, all nice shiny paint :-))

No primer, no galvanising, bare, possibly rusting metal already underneath.

Turned over lip soon rusts and drops off :-((

RUBBISH

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies, so if you want to see a very rusty 3(?)
year old Walsall Wheelbarrow Company wheelbarrow, drop in. PO36 8PG

Old 18-05-2005, 02:47 PM
shazzbat

"Holly in France" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 May 2005 09:44:00 +0100, Duncan Heenan wrote:

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

The price of wheelbarrows varies enormously but Argos/Index was selling
a 60 litre barrow for £20 and homebase/B&Q were selling a 80 litre
flatpack barrow for £15 (OK it was flatpack).

Can anyone confirm if it was B&Q or Homebase? Have you seen a better
offer. Up here in Caithness it will have to be from one of the big
stores next trip to Inverness.

--
JohnOGroats

I can't answer that, but personally I've always bought and used builders
barrows from Builders Merchants. They're a bit more expensive, but much

more
robust, and so last longer and can be used for all sorts of work,

including
really heavy stuff.

I've always used builders barrows from skips. When a builders wheelbarrow
gets a puncture, they tend to throw it in the skip and get a new barrow, the
boss is paying. I take them out of the skip, take them home, fix the
puncture (ok, that's one of the things I do anyway so I have an advantage)
and there you go. I've got one on the allotment and one at home for the
garden, although that one is kind of interesting because I think they backed
their van into it and it's sort of twisted.

Steve

Old 18-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Paul D.Smith

B&Q also sell builders wheelbarrows (black, steel, pneumatic tyre, red
handles) that meet all the criteria given. Mine does sterling work, but I
like the post form the guy who gets his from skips ;-). You can buy new
wheels too for the builder's one if you wear it out.

Paul DS.