Old 22-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Alan Holmes

Default When can I put out tomatoes and sweet corn?

The sweetcorn and some of the tomatoes are getting large, and I
worry about leaving them in the greenhouse too long, so when
will be the earliest I can put them in the ground?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 22-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote
The sweetcorn and some of the tomatoes are getting large, and I
worry about leaving them in the greenhouse too long, so when
will be the earliest I can put them in the ground?

When all chance of frost is passed in your garden. :-)
Old gardeners around here used to say after Chelsea i.e. about 1st June.
That said we had a bad grass frost on the 9th June a couple of years back
but it only affected our allotments nothing to show at home.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Phil L

Alan Holmes wrote:
:: The sweetcorn and some of the tomatoes are getting large, and I
:: worry about leaving them in the greenhouse too long, so when
:: will be the earliest I can put them in the ground?

I'm planting mine out tomorrow, but they'll still be inside the GH as we
tend to have very wet summers and chilly nights...tomatoes hate it outside
around here! ...mine seem to have grown about 4 inches in the past four
days....chillis still battling against some horrid little bugs, I've sprayed
them a few times with little effect and the new leaves seem to be affected
the most, curling up on themselves, tomorrow I go on 'operation aphid,
turning each plant upside down and spraying them again.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 23-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Robert

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
:
: The sweetcorn and some of the tomatoes are getting large, and I
: worry about leaving them in the greenhouse too long, so when
: will be the earliest I can put them in the ground?
:
My sweetcorn went out on Friday

Old 23-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

We planted our sweetcorn yesterday. I was intending to put high collars
(made from empty tonic/lemonade bottles) round them as I was told by a
friend that this would help the plants. Hubby thinks the idea is rubbish.
Who is right?

Jeanne

Old 23-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Harold Walker

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

The sweetcorn and some of the tomatoes are getting large, and I
worry about leaving them in the greenhouse too long, so when
will be the earliest I can put them in the ground?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

I faced the same problem with tomato plants Alan but.... mine are already
in the ground but I keep a very close watch on the weather and am always
ready to cover with fleece at the slightest hint of a frost....H

Old 23-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Jupiter

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:11:58 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

We planted our sweetcorn yesterday. I was intending to put high collars
(made from empty tonic/lemonade bottles) round them as I was told by a
friend that this would help the plants. Hubby thinks the idea is rubbish.
Who is right?

Jeanne
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

The sweetcorn and some of the tomatoes are getting large, and I
worry about leaving them in the greenhouse too long, so when
will be the earliest I can put them in the ground?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Cut off the tops (they make handy funnels) from 2 litre PET bottles
and invert the part left over the plant. An instant cloche. I've had
tomoto plants out since 4 May, using these at night.

Old 24-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Spider

Jeanne Stockdale wrote in message
We planted our sweetcorn yesterday. I was intending to put high collars
(made from empty tonic/lemonade bottles) round them as I was told by a
friend that this would help the plants. Hubby thinks the idea is rubbish.
Who is right?

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

I've never tried this, but have heard it's effective in reducing
(eliminating?!) slug and snail attacks. I'm rather dubious about the slug
claim, as they move around underground and could easily come up inside the
barrier and munch unhindered. I can see how it would deter snails, though,
especially if you were to cut the bands of plastic with pinking shears!
Another benefit would be protection of the plant during hoeing. Try it and
see .. you've only got plants to lose ...

Spider