Old 23-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Leicester, UK
Smile pineapple

Hello to all you gardeners out there. I am new to this message board and would like to introduce myself. My screen name is Pineapple. As a gardener, it was only a matter of time before I became so passionate about my hobby that not content with working in my own garden, or visiting gardens, I now feel compeled to write about my hobby. I have a reasonably sized garden in a suburb of Leicester. My soil however, unfortunately is clay.With copious ammounts of soil improvers, I manage to grow a wide range of plants, which include Bamboo, several species of clematis, , Eucalyptus, Acers and a variety of fruit and vegetables (sucessfully, I hope) this year. I also have a medium sized nature pond which is currently full of Tadpoles, Newts and Frogs. My three cats seem oblivious to my attempts to grow flowers and take great pleasure in lieing down and sunbathing on prime specimens. Despite this feline hindrance, along with numerous squirrels, a Fox and various birds the garden is a combination of natural haven and formal garden. If it wasnt for the slugs and snails, it really would be idyllic......
Old 24-05-2005, 01:08 PM
pammyT

"pineapple" wrote in message
news
My
three cats seem oblivious to my attempts to grow flowers and take great
pleasure in lieing down and sunbathing on prime specimens.

They heard you mention that plants need bottom heat to grow well :0)

Old 26-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Leicester, UK
Cool

Yes, quite! it's an ongoing problem. I have tried everything to keep them off the garden, lots of commercial preparations, which work for a couple of days, then fail miserably. I have now decided to just be tolerant. They also have made well worn pathways through flower beds and across the grass. The most effective detterant to date is upside down oranges scattered here and there. Cats dont seem to like citrus, however, the down side is I now have a garden decorated with oranges!
Old 28-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from pineapple contains these words:

Yes, quite! it's an ongoing problem. I have tried everything to keep
them off the garden, lots of commercial preparations, which work for a
couple of days, then fail miserably. I have now decided to just be
tolerant. They also have made well worn pathways through flower beds
and across the grass. The most effective detterant to date is upside
down oranges scattered here and there. Cats dont seem to like citrus,
however, the down side is I now have a garden decorated with oranges!

Get a drum of aluminium ammonium sulphate (I think 250g is the smallest
you'll get easily) by ordering from Boots or similar.

Sprinkle where you don't want cats.

Quite harmless, and breaks down into useful fertiliser.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!! Mark Anderson Gardening 12 07-11-2003 09:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple James Mayer Edible Gardening 0 17-09-2003 01:42 AM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM