Old 21-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default A partner for the Hippophae rhamnoides

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 02:16:16 +0000, Hussein M.
wrote:

...So why did I
buy the Japanese quince Chaenomeles speciosa instead of the Cydonia
oblonga? Drat!

Because you wanted productivity *soon*. In my experience, quince
trees (cydonia) take nearly ten years to come into bearing.

However, I wouldn't want a garden without a quince tree. The
conserves, butters, preserves and such you can make from quinces
have a unique flavor that I am very partial to.

Now if I could just get a sloe and a medlar!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 21-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Hussein M.
writes
Hi.

A cunning Google found this nursery which offers not only sexed
cultivars of Hippophae but also a few other rather wonderful fruit and
nut case shrubs which I wish I had known about earlier. So why did I
buy the Japanese quince Chaenomeles speciosa instead of the Cydonia
oblonga?

Because Cydonia oblonga is quite a big tree whereas Chaenomeles fruits
ona small bush? ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 22-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:23:45 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Hussein M.
writes

why did I
buy the Japanese quince Chaenomeles speciosa instead of the Cydonia
oblonga?

Because Cydonia oblonga is quite a big tree whereas Chaenomeles fruits
ona small bush? ;-)

Dwarfing root stock is the answer.

Old 23-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

In article , Hussein M.
writes

why did I
buy the Japanese quince Chaenomeles speciosa instead of the Cydonia
oblonga?

Because Cydonia oblonga is quite a big tree whereas Chaenomeles fruits
ona small bush? ;-)

Dwarfing root stock is the answer.

Not at all, I am afraid. I don't believe any significant proportion
of Chaenomeles are grafted, and certainly mine are on their own roots.
As they sucker vigorously from their roots, grafting would be somewhat
unreliable :-)

Cydonia is a small to medium tree, and Chaenomeles are usually shrubs,
often thicket-forming ones. C. speciosa gets to about ten feet, and
is the largest grown in the UK. Many named varieties will reach only
3-6', and are often C. x superba.

Chaenomeles have more decorative flowers, fruit much younger, and are
generally much easier plants for most gardens. Which is why there
is so much more of them ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679