Old 28-05-2005, 08:46 AM
loraine

Default scalloped edging

Hi there, i am going to dig out a plot of my garden and put an eding around
it. I quite like the concrete scalloped edging that you can buy, can
anyone advise whether these edges should be cemented into the ground or just
butted up (sandwiched) against the grass and dug out piece of mud.

Cheers
Loraine

Old 28-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Kay

In article , loraine
writes
Hi there, i am going to dig out a plot of my garden and put an eding around
it. I quite like the concrete scalloped edging that you can buy, can
anyone advise whether these edges should be cemented into the ground or just
butted up (sandwiched) against the grass and dug out piece of mud.

They can be just half buried, though take a lot of care wen positioning
them so they don't move out of line later.

Think about how you are going to cut the grass against the edging - a
lawn mower won't cut that close.
--
Kay

Old 28-05-2005, 10:51 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Kay wrote:

Hi there, i am going to dig out a plot of my garden and put an eding around
it. I quite like the concrete scalloped edging that you can buy, can
anyone advise whether these edges should be cemented into the ground or just
butted up (sandwiched) against the grass and dug out piece of mud.

They can be just half buried, though take a lot of care wen positioning
them so they don't move out of line later.

Think about how you are going to cut the grass against the edging - a
lawn mower won't cut that close.

No, but one can finish off with a strimmer.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK
Old 28-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Mike Lyle

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2005, Kay wrote:

Hi there, i am going to dig out a plot of my garden and put an
eding around it. I quite like the concrete scalloped edging

that
you can buy, can anyone advise whether these edges should be
cemented into the ground or just butted up (sandwiched) against

the
grass and dug out piece of mud.

They can be just half buried, though take a lot of care wen
positioning them so they don't move out of line later.

Think about how you are going to cut the grass against the

edging - a
lawn mower won't cut that close.

No, but one can finish off with a strimmer.

Yeah, but what a bore! I prefer a mowing strip made of old bricks so
that the mower can deal with the whole area. If Loraine is very taken
with the concrete scallops, she can have bricks on the lawn side and
scallopy things on the flower side. Personally, I would have only the
bricks: I'm not a big concrete fan.

--
Mike.

Old 28-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Phil

Mike

Excuse my ignorance but waht is a mowing strip.

Loraine

Old 28-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil wrote:
Mike

Excuse my ignorance but waht is a mowing strip.

[...]

Just a strip along the edge, a fraction lower than the lawn, so you
can run the mower wheels along it. That way you cut right to the
edge. Looks good, too.

--
Mike.

Old 31-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:51:08 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Kay wrote:

Think about how you are going to cut the grass against the edging - a
lawn mower won't cut that close.

No, but one can finish off with a strimmer.

I always start off with a strimmer. That way the mower picks up the
bits.

I've edged all my grass with featherboarding, as used for fences and
bought from B&Q. Cut a slit along the edge of the grass with a
half-moon or sharp spade, and whack in the boarding narrow edge down
using a rubber mallet. You can even bend it slightly on the curves. A
pack of ten boards goes a surprisingly long way, and has to be cheaper
than concrete scallop edging, even at B&Q prices, and it's
weatherproof.

--
Chris

Borneo: Phalaenopsis fuscata - love that scalloped lip! Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 25-04-2007 08:47 PM
Edging for curved borders? will United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
Pond edging plants Steve Jackson United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 09:33 PM
Log roll edging Will United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:32 AM
Lawn edging using a petrol trimmer Rocket Gardening 3 26-01-2003 06:26 PM