Old 26-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Ckematic Armandii

"welsh witch" wrote in message
I have just bought a clematis armandii having seen the superb specimen
on my daughter's house wall.
Our walls at home are already covered with treasure trove, Campsis mme
Galen and various others so I thought I would like to grow it up a
tree.
It seems pretty vigorous has anyone tried this. I am thinking of an
ash tree?

Looks from clues in your posting you might be in Wales! C. armandii should
love it :~)
To get it into something large like an ash tree start by planting at the
edge of the tree (not at the trunk) create a plant ladder from some wire
well anchored at the ground up to the branches and make sure you water well
and reguarly May to August this year (regardless of the weather) once going
you should have no problems (they look stunning when grown in trees like
that, I only wish I could grow the trees!!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Keith Dowsett

I'm not an expert but IIRC clematis like cool and damp for their roots and
sunny for their leaves. You may find that beneath a tree is a little too dry
unless you're prepared to water it frequently, especially during the first
year. You may also need to feed a little more than usual because it will be
in competition with the tree roots for nutrients.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.