Old 13-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:55:55 GMT, pied piper wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:51:16 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:37:36 +0100, MM wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:00:36 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
om...
Been away for a few days and the lawn is now covered in long-ish
grasses! When I go over with the hand mower, these foot-long blades of
grass are simply pushed flat, then spring up again after an hour or
so.

I'm thinking of buying a rechargeable (thus cordless) hedgetrimmer and
use it like an Allen scythe to cut these long grasses down to size.

Any other ideas? I could get down on my hands and knees with the
shears, but it would take two days to cover the whole lawn like that.

MM

===============
A pressed steel sickle ( not 1/4" thick steel blade type) works for me.
You
can buy one quite cheaply at 'Focus' etc but remember to buy the
sharpening
stone as well.

Yes, I had contemplated one of those, too. But my father used one in
the 1950s and I tried it (I was 11 at the time) and it was darned hard
work! Not sure whether I can stoop that low any more. I want to mount
the cordless hedgetrimmer on a wheeled dolly, by the way, then push
the dolly across the 'lawn'.

MM

Get a scythe. Around 30 quid. Then you can od it standing up (fnarr
fnarr!).
But you've got to get the technique right. It is harder than a motor
mower,
obviously but not much more than using a strimmer.
It helps if the grass is still slightly damp. If the grass is too dry it
just folds over and bends under the blade. In the morning is a good time,
or late evening.

Use a stone regularly to keep it sharp during use, and hammer the edge
sharp after use or during a break. The edge stays sharper longer that way.
It's a dying art.

But what is wrong with my idea using a battery-charged hedgetrimmer? I
still reckon that would be the best solution, being a scissor cut.

MM

what if u drop it and cut your toes off use a strimmer or a rotary mower

I'll answer then.
If you drop it, it cuts out automatically. They have two grips with
switches, only when both are being held does it operate.
--
Tim C.