Old 07-01-2006, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thesquire

Default Another plant id problem

I have 2 plants that I cannot id.

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/unkown.jpg

Its obviously a cypress of some sort. The tree itself is nother like
an Italian Cypress, its not column shaped, more of a Monterey Shape.
Its very slow growing unlike Leyland.

The 2nd is

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/unknown-sorbus1.jpg

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/dump/unknown-sorbus2.jpg

The dead leaves on the floor are very much the same as a Whitebeam
(Sorbus Aria) approx 3ins long. The tree is about 6 m tall, the fruits
are about 0.5 inch dia and almost bright red. They are still on the
tree, but the blackbirds are begining to strip them off.
The seed inside the fruit is in a cluster of 3, very similar to a
Medlar, (I think) which is in the same family.

The seeds are creamy coloured, I am told that Whitebeam seeds are
black. So they are not Whitebeam (Sorbus Aria).

Any ideas Plz
Old 07-01-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies

"thesquire" wrote in message
[...]

I think that number one is Thuja occidentalis
http://tinyurl.com/ajtqv. If you agree, can you identify the
variety?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thesquire

I know its not in the Thuja family, as the shape of the seed heads
indicate that its a cypress.

I am thinking probably Smooth Arizona Cypress, but i am not confident.

Its

Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

thesquire wrote:

I know its not in the Thuja family, as the shape of the seed heads
indicate that its a cypress.
I am thinking probably Smooth Arizona Cypress, but i am not confident.

I'd say lawson's or nootka cypress, chamaeyparis lawsoniana or
chamaecyparis nootkatensis. Does the tip of the crown and are the
branches drooping?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

thesquire wrote:

The dead leaves on the floor are very much the same as a Whitebeam
(Sorbus Aria)

I think this too. Though the fruits are not as clustered as I thought
it would be.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thesquire

The branches are drooping, as I picked the items in photo, standing on
the ground.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

thesquire wrote:

The branches are drooping, as I picked the items in photo, standing on
the ground.

This makes me think of the leyland cypress now. It's a hybrid of
cupressus macrocarpa and chamaecyparis nootkatensis (the nootka I
mentioned before). It was much planted in Britain as a screening hedge
round gardens, parks and factories. It looks like species of
chamaecyprais but has larger female cones and unlike those of the
nootka, the tips of its branches do not droop. Do you have flowers in
winter that turn pink in spring? These are at the tip of the leaves. Or
perhaps yours is too young ...