Old 13-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Terry Pinnell

Default Preventing weeds in path

I'm fighting an ongoing battle against weeds growing through the
sand-gaps in out brick paths and patio. I spent the weekend clearing
them, this time with a high pressure hose, and refilling with fine
sand. So now I want to do whatever I can to PREVENT their
reappearance. Or at least postpone it for a long time.

But I could find nothing that appeared suitable on the Homebase
shelves this morning. Products like PathClear seem to require the
weeds to be present and growing! So I am hoping someone here can
recommend a product that I can soak into the sand that will STOP the
weeds actually growing. Surely there must be something potent enough
to do this please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old 13-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Martin Brown

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm fighting an ongoing battle against weeds growing through the
sand-gaps in out brick paths and patio. I spent the weekend clearing
them, this time with a high pressure hose, and refilling with fine
sand. So now I want to do whatever I can to PREVENT their
reappearance. Or at least postpone it for a long time.

Classic sodium chlorate application - renders soil unfit for growth. If
you can live with the salt marks that will inevitably occur.

But I could find nothing that appeared suitable on the Homebase
shelves this morning. Products like PathClear seem to require the
weeds to be present and growing! So I am hoping someone here can
recommend a product that I can soak into the sand that will STOP the
weeds actually growing. Surely there must be something potent enough
to do this please?

You could wait until the weeds start again and then hit them with
pathclear. It contains amongst other things a pre-emergent herbicide
that discourages seeds from germinating for 6-8 months. It almost works.

NB Never use PathClear for spot weeding in lawns!
(people do - resulting bare patches are not good)

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Broadback

Martin Brown wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm fighting an ongoing battle against weeds growing through the
sand-gaps in out brick paths and patio. I spent the weekend clearing
them, this time with a high pressure hose, and refilling with fine
sand. So now I want to do whatever I can to PREVENT their
reappearance. Or at least postpone it for a long time.

Classic sodium chlorate application - renders soil unfit for growth. If
you can live with the salt marks that will inevitably occur.

Snip
Regards,
Martin Brown

Sodium chlorate does not work for me. It barely kills the weeds (some
survive) between the paviours, and within a couple of weeks the dead
ones have been replaced by new growth. :-(
Old 13-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback
Martin Brown wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm fighting an ongoing battle against weeds growing through the
sand-gaps in out brick paths and patio. I spent the weekend clearing
them, this time with a high pressure hose, and refilling with fine
sand. So now I want to do whatever I can to PREVENT their
reappearance. Or at least postpone it for a long time.

Classic sodium chlorate application - renders soil unfit for growth. If
you can live with the salt marks that will inevitably occur.

Snip
Regards,
Martin Brown

Sodium chlorate does not work for me. It barely kills the weeds (some
survive) between the paviours, and within a couple of weeks the dead
ones have been replaced by new growth. :-(
weeds are really only unwanted plants, so how about planting something you do want amongst the gaps. Something small and compact like creeping thyme would release its scent when walked on as well as looking good. There are loads of other plants that would be suitable - am sure a quick google would produce a few ideas. good luck!
Old 13-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"Terry Pinnell" wrote ...
I'm fighting an ongoing battle against weeds growing through the
sand-gaps in out brick paths and patio. I spent the weekend clearing
them, this time with a high pressure hose, and refilling with fine
sand. So now I want to do whatever I can to PREVENT their
reappearance. Or at least postpone it for a long time.

But I could find nothing that appeared suitable on the Homebase
shelves this morning. Products like PathClear seem to require the
weeds to be present and growing! So I am hoping someone here can
recommend a product that I can soak into the sand that will STOP the
weeds actually growing. Surely there must be something potent enough
to do this please?

You need to seal your paving, see......
http://www.pavingexpert.com/sealants.htm

--
Regards
Bob

Preventing weeds GARY Gardening 12 30-01-2007 01:23 AM
preventing weeds using a greenhouse? [email protected] Gardening 8 17-09-2006 05:35 AM
Help with raised beds and preventing weeds/bermuda grass... Ima Googler Gardening 7 18-06-2006 08:34 PM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM