Old 19-06-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Hanging plant suggestions

Does anyone have a suggestion for a plant which does the following:

Needs to hang over a small wall (1ft high) - some sort of ground
creeper I guess?

Needs to survive the winter, I think the term is Perennial

Needs to flower at some point during the year

Any/All suggestions welcome...

Old 19-06-2005, 11:56 PM
andrewpreece

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have a suggestion for a plant which does the following:

Needs to hang over a small wall (1ft high) - some sort of ground
creeper I guess?

Needs to survive the winter, I think the term is Perennial

Needs to flower at some point during the year

Any/All suggestions welcome...

What kind of situation do you have, i.e. what is the aspect, what part of
the
country, is the wall shaded? You could try Aubetia, given the lack of any
other detailed info in your post.

Andy.

Old 20-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Spider

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have a suggestion for a plant which does the following:

Needs to hang over a small wall (1ft high) - some sort of ground
creeper I guess?

Needs to survive the winter, I think the term is Perennial

Needs to flower at some point during the year

Any/All suggestions welcome...

Hi James,

It would help to know more about your soil/situation.

However, off the top of my head, I would suggest:-

Chiastophyllum oppositifolium ... spreading and tumbling evergreen foliage.
Lovely soft yellow "lamb's tail-like" flowers in late spring.
Helianthemum, many varieties ... more-or-less-evergreeen sprawling stems and
foliage. Flowers in early summer in bright shades, some pastel.
Cerastium tomentosum (Snow-in-Summer) ... obsessive-compulsive spreader.
Carpet of grey leaves, covered by masses of white flower June/July.
Erigeron glauca ... tumbling lavender-coloured daisy flowers June/July.
Saponaria ocymoides ... covered in pink flowers from July onwards.

Also, some forms of hardy Geranium and Veronica may suit your brief, but
you'll need to research the most appropriate varieties.

Hope this helps.
Spider.

Old 20-06-2005, 07:40 PM
JFM

I quite like the Aubretia and the Saponaria ocymoides.

I am in Surrey and the garden is south facing so the walls in question
get the sun for most of the day.

I think the soil is standard/chalky. I seem to be digging up lumps of
chalk periodically and haven't found any clay yet.

Thanks

James

Old 23-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Spider

JFM wrote in message
oups.com...
I quite like the Aubretia and the Saponaria ocymoides.

I am in Surrey and the garden is south facing so the walls in question
get the sun for most of the day.

I think the soil is standard/chalky. I seem to be digging up lumps of
chalk periodically and haven't found any clay yet.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for filling in the blanks. Since you're on such well-draining soil
with sun, you might also consider Erigeron karvinskianus. It is smothered
with masses of tiny daisies, white-aging-thro'-pink-to-crimson. Mine start
flowering in May and go on and on through November - even a few daisies over
Christmas. It needs tidying up in Spring, but is glorious. I am always
being asked for spare plants by admiring friends and passers-by. Well worth
your consideration.

Spider