Old 19-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Default Buddliea

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell me how to fix it? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Buddliea-picture-289.jpg
Old 19-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Kay

In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?
--
Kay

Old 19-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?

Depends of the species, but the common B. davidii isn't in flower yet.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-06-2005, 11:47 PM
CK

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?
--
Kay

Like what ??? ~ I can't see a link to a picture.

Chris in Somerset

Old 20-06-2005, 07:48 AM

quote Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit
early for
buddleia to be in flower?
--
Kay unquote

They also look just like last years dead flowers to me as well. Did you
prune them back this spring? Certainly should have and they certainly
shouldn't be in flower yet, not even those that haven't been pruned.

Mike

Old 20-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Kay

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Kay
writes
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?

Depends of the species, but the common B. davidii isn't in flower yet.

The only ones I know are B davidii, B globosa, and that other one with
round flowers in apricot which flowers a lot later. What other species
are regularly grown in gardens in the UK - or even uncommonly grown?
It's not a genus I've ever taken a lot of interest in.
--
Kay

Old 20-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Kay

In article , CK king@takeawaythenumb
eryoufirstthoughtof.pilton80.wanadoo.co.uk writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?
--

Like what ??? ~ I can't see a link to a picture.

Did you not get a couple of dotted lines below the post enclosing a bit
of text which included a url? That seems to be standard format for
things reposted through gardenbanter
--
Kay

Old 20-06-2005, 08:44 AM
CK

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?
--

Like what ??? ~ I can't see a link to a picture.

Did you not get a couple of dotted lines below the post enclosing a bit
of text which included a url? That seems to be standard format for
things reposted through gardenbanter
--
Kay

Thanks Kay, but no ~ I didn't get it.
The same has happened before, but I have seen the url on another poster's
quoted post.

Anyone got any ideas as to why I don't get it???

Chris in Somerset

Old 20-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Kay
writes
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?

Depends of the species, but the common B. davidii isn't in flower yet.

The only ones I know are B davidii, B globosa, and that other one with
round flowers in apricot which flowers a lot later. What other species
are regularly grown in gardens in the UK - or even uncommonly grown?
It's not a genus I've ever taken a lot of interest in.
--
Kay

My year starts with B. salvifolia alba around Christmas, this is followed by
B. madagascariensis in early spring then B. salvifolia in April, B.
fallowiana by June then all the davidias and one of my favourites B. x
weyeriana. later in the Autumn B. colvelii and forsterii are lovely. All
make splendid climbing frames for clematis!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Kay

In article , CK king@takeawaythenumbe
ryoufirstthoughtof.pilton80.wanadoo.co.uk writes

Thanks Kay, but no ~ I didn't get it.
The same has happened before, but I have seen the url on another poster's
quoted post.

Anyone got any ideas as to why I don't get it???

What software are you using to read newsgroups?
--
Kay

Old 20-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

My year starts with B. salvifolia alba around Christmas, this is followed by
B. madagascariensis in early spring then B. salvifolia in April, B.
fallowiana by June then all the davidias and one of my favourites B. x
weyeriana. later in the Autumn B. colvelii and forsterii are lovely. All
make splendid climbing frames for clematis!

B salvifolia - interesting that the variety flowers so much earlier than
the species

Is B x weyeriana the apricot globular flowered one?

As to the rest - I need to do some looking at books. How hardy are they?
- there's a big difference between Cornwall and Yorkshire.
--
Kay

Old 20-06-2005, 06:34 PM
CK

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , CK king@takeawaythenumbe
ryoufirstthoughtof.pilton80.wanadoo.co.uk writes

Thanks Kay, but no ~ I didn't get it.
The same has happened before, but I have seen the url on another poster's
quoted post.

Anyone got any ideas as to why I don't get it???

What software are you using to read newsgroups?
--
Kay

Hi Kay,

Using Outlook Express.

Chris in Somerset

Old 20-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Brian

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

My year starts with B. salvifolia alba around Christmas, this is followed

by
B. madagascariensis in early spring then B. salvifolia in April, B.
fallowiana by June then all the davidias and one of my favourites B. x
weyeriana. later in the Autumn B. colvelii and forsterii are lovely. All
make splendid climbing frames for clematis!

B salvifolia - interesting that the variety flowers so much earlier than
the species

Is B x weyeriana the apricot globular flowered one?

~~~~~~~~~
No Kay~ weyeriana is as you would imagine a cross between davidii and
globosa. Buttercup yellow flowers in a spike similar to davidii but not so
tight.
Flowers till Xmas and is sterile so no seed heads. Quite the best.
Flowers over a much longer period than any others. Its only disadvantage is
its inability to wthstand strong winds. It only produces a shallow root
system and blows over. Well worth a try. Roots well[ish] from cuttings but
not so readily as davidii.
Best wishes Brian.

Old 21-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Glen Able

Brian wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
Is B x weyeriana the apricot globular flowered one?

~~~~~~~~~
No Kay~ weyeriana is as you would imagine a cross between davidii and
globosa. Buttercup yellow flowers in a spike similar to davidii but not so
tight.
Flowers till Xmas and is sterile so no seed heads. Quite the best.
Flowers over a much longer period than any others. Its only disadvantage is
its inability to wthstand strong winds. It only produces a shallow root
system and blows over. Well worth a try. Roots well[ish] from cuttings but
not so readily as davidii.
Best wishes Brian.

Funny, I've always seen x weyeriana the other way round i.e. it has
balls like globosa, but fused together rather than individual.

Say, how come nobody mentioned B. alternifolia? There seem to be a few
varieties including a smaller one with silvery grey foliage. Mine have
been completely coated in flowers for the last few weeks and they have a
lovely scent - similar to the familiar buddleja smell but sweeter and
fresher.
Old 21-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Brendy Brendy.1qw3k0@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Can anyone tell me why my buddliea flowers are like this? Can you tell
me how to fix it? Thank you

Those look like last year's dead flowers to me. Isn't it a bit early for
buddleia to be in flower?

Kay, my Alternitfolia is in flower now, smelling absolutely heavenly,
it's been in flower about two to three weeks and looks really good this
year. I've trained it as a small weeping tree and it's much the best way
to see it.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy