Old 21-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Steve Drake

Default tree fern howto pot

Hello,

I just bought a tree fern, I ask the garden centre about potting it, they
told me that a good size pot would do and I don't need good soil as it want
get any nutrients from the soil, I then ask them if it would be ok to use
hard core instead of soil as I have a load left over, they said this wood be
fine.

so.... I put the tree fern in the pot, filled it with some hard core, then
put some decretive pebbles on the top.

Is this OK? I have read on some websites that you should put it in well
drained soil.

Cheers

Steve

Old 24-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Des Higgins

"Steve Drake" wrote in message
Hello,

I just bought a tree fern, I ask the garden centre about potting it, they
told me that a good size pot would do and I don't need good soil as it
want get any nutrients from the soil, I then ask them if it would be ok to
use hard core instead of soil as I have a load left over, they said this
wood be fine.

so.... I put the tree fern in the pot, filled it with some hard core, then
put some decretive pebbles on the top.

Is this OK? I have read on some websites that you should put it in well
drained soil.

Hi Steve: I wanted to wait to see if anyone else who knows more about tree
ferns than me posted in but you have been unlucky here so you will have to
do with my less quality knowledge of these things. What you say sounds
correct up to a point in that they do indeed feed through the top of the
"stem". However, I have had 7 of them in my back garden for years now that
I grew from spores (if anyone else is tempted, it is rewarding in the same
kind of way that learning latin or making lace is; next time I will just buy
some). Despite what you were told and what seems to make sense, teh ones
that I potted on each year thrived and the ones that I potted on less often
did not. The size difference is three fold at this stage.
I now have 4 nice big specimens (well after 7 years of growing the effing
things, they have trunks of about 8 inches and have maybe metre long fronds
if you will forgive the mixed measurement units) and three stunted ones.
Also every time I repot them, the "roots" have completely and utterly
crammed every available space in the pots. Next time I move them, I will
just plant the big ones in the ground where they will stay until I die or
they are stolen.

So, they do like good compost/feeding through the roots. If you are in a
hurry, just peat based potting compost will do; if you have the time and
materials, then add in any of garden compost, composted bark, charcoal (one
book I read said to do that; do not sue me if they die; I just chucked in
some barbecue charcoal (NOT the briquettes)) and some slow release granular
feed and or manure. I just guessed proportions and mixed it all up as I
found whatever I had. They seemed to love it.

The next thing to watch is to NEVER (EVER (EVER)) let the trunk dry out. In
Summer, in warm weather, water once a week at the very least from above and
move to teh shade if going away. In WInter watch it if the weather has been
dry.
I forgot all about mine a year ago during a dry spring (early 2004) and 3 of
mine nearly died from drying out.

That is my take on them; there are web sites that will give much more
accurate information but if you take them too seriously, what I wrote above
will sound very slapdash and careless but you will end up a nervous wreck.

Des

Cheers

Steve