Old 13-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from newsb contains these words:

Uses - is it still used in the manufacture of codeine?

Unlikely in this country I'd have thought (both for the lack of sun and
any legal issues - I'd have thought that any legal, organised production
would have some sort of protection).

Maybe it is possible to extract the active ingredients by just
harvesting and processing - rather than slitting and bleeding sap?

Yes, the usual (legal) way is to harvest the seed-pods and extract the
juice - and no, I'm not extracting the juice...

That
said, the picture of worthy labourers going round slitting poppy heads
and collecting opium is rather attractive. I suspect that near
Stonehenge there might be a large itinerant labour force willing to
volunteer Possibly also open up a Pick Your Own Drugs operation.

The mind boogies.

And it makes me wonder. Are such things synthesised for use in legal
opiate drugs (eg., heroin, opium tinctures, morphine and codeine) -
apart from the obvious opiate like substitutes - or do companies buy the
raw ingredients from the Afghani poppy fields?

That I don't know. It will all be down to economics.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , newsb
writes

And it makes me wonder. Are such things synthesised for use in legal
opiate drugs (eg., heroin, opium tinctures, morphine and codeine) -
apart from the obvious opiate like substitutes - or do companies buy the
raw ingredients from the Afghani poppy fields?

I've heard that opium poppy is grown commercially in Tasmania.

Google confirms.

http://www.poppies.org/news/99742218366555.shtml
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Cooking: but cooking what, I dunno.

Oil painting. It's a drying oil, but, unlike linseed, doesn't go
yellow.

I should have known that - or rather, I should have remembered that. I
*KNEW* I'd seen it somewhere. (But I use watercolours these days - I
gave up oils in the '60s.)