Old 30-06-2005, 11:16 AM
John.N.

Default Woolly Aphids

NG,

How do I get rid of 'woolly aphid' infestation on an espalier apple tree.

I've tried 'bug spay', jet washing, & soapy solution scrubbing.

Is the only solution to remove the tree?

Thanks J.

Old 30-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Martin Brown

John.N. wrote:

NG,

How do I get rid of 'woolly aphid' infestation on an espalier apple tree.

I've tried 'bug spay', jet washing, & soapy solution scrubbing.

Is the only solution to remove the tree?

Concerted effort with meths and a stiff brush will do it eventually or
at least get control. Their wool hides them from simple formulations.

If you are prepared to use systemic insecticides as well then that will
get them, but watch out for reinfestation their eggs will still hatch. I
would use knock down insecticide and regular attack with meths on a
small tree. On a big one badly infested you don't have much choice but
go for a systemic (read the instructions carefully you may not want to
eat this years crop after applying some of them).

Dimethoate used to work on them, but I doubt you can buy it now.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Kay

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam|
writes
John.N. wrote:

NG,

How do I get rid of 'woolly aphid' infestation on an espalier apple tree.

I've tried 'bug spay', jet washing, & soapy solution scrubbing.

Is the only solution to remove the tree?

Concerted effort with meths and a stiff brush will do it eventually or
at least get control. Their wool hides them from simple formulations.

If you are prepared to use systemic insecticides as well then that will
get them, but watch out for reinfestation their eggs will still hatch. I
would use knock down insecticide and regular attack with meths on a
small tree. On a big one badly infested you don't have much choice but
go for a systemic (read the instructions carefully you may not want to
eat this years crop after applying some of them).

Dimethoate used to work on them, but I doubt you can buy it now.

Isn't that the active constituent of Tumblebug and similar? I thought it
was still available but haven't bought it since I've come to the
conclusion my mealybug and red spider are now resistant.
--
Kay

Old 30-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"John.N." writes:

| How do I get rid of 'woolly aphid' infestation on an espalier apple tree.
|
| I've tried 'bug spay', jet washing, & soapy solution scrubbing.

I like the idea of 'bug spay' - how do you achieve it? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Richard Parker

#include

In article ,
"John.N." writes:

| How do I get rid of 'woolly aphid' infestation on an espalier apple tree.
|
| I've tried 'bug spay', jet washing, & soapy solution scrubbing.

I like the idea of 'bug spay' - how do you achieve it? :-)

Very, very small bricks.
--
Richard Parker

/*drunk.. fix later*/

Old 02-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Rod Craddock

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Martin Brown |||newspam|
writes
Dimethoate used to work on them, but I doubt you can buy it now.

Isn't that the active constituent of Tumblebug and similar? I thought it
was still available but haven't bought it since I've come to the
conclusion my mealybug and red spider are now resistant.

Yes, resistance to Dimethoate is widespread - it's been useless here for
some years.

Bluetits and woodpeckers make quite useful inroads into woolly aphids.

Woolly aphids or mealy bugs on Phal Kate Orchids 15 24-12-2007 07:48 PM
woolly bush, dead :-o Raels Australia 0 21-02-2004 01:39 AM
woolly bush, dead :-o Raels Australia 0 21-02-2004 01:18 AM
woolly aphids plague on native plants Greg Wake Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Albany Woolly bush watchcat Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM