Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Sweet peppers

If I plant the seeds from supermarket orange sweet peppers, will I get
predominantly orange peppers on the plants, or a mix or red, yellow
and orange (on different plants of course, and assuming I get any at
all!)?

--
Chris

Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Phil L

michael adams wrote:
:: "michael adams" wrote in message
:: ...
:::
::: "Chris Hogg" wrote in message
::: ...
:::
:::
:::: If I plant the seeds from supermarket orange sweet peppers, will
:::: I get predominantly orange peppers on the plants, or a mix or
:::: red, yellow and orange (on different plants of course, and
:::: assuming I get any at all!)?
:::
:::
::: Green turning to orange.
:::
::: Unless they're FI hybrids in which case it's not so
::: straightforward. As seed from FI hybrids doesn't always
::: grow true to the parent plant.
:::
::: When they sell the colour mixtures (non FI hybrids) they
::: give you so many seeds of each colour. So presumably
::: that's how they identify them. From what coloured pepper
::: they were from.
::
:: ...
::
:: er, apparently they're actually different varieties, rather
:: than being different colours of the one variety. And even
:: Sweet Rainbow Mix - which comes in white, yellow, orange,
:: red, lilac, purple, and chocolate includes 6 hybrids.
::
:: If the supermarket pepper was an FI hybid - which
:: may be more economical for them despite higher seed costs
:: so as to give uniform size and yield etc then the offspring
:: may be different in some respect or other.

Regardless of F1, colour, size or shape, I would suggest growing some anyway
as home grown has more flavour than shop bought - and that applies to almost
everything - supermarkets are interested in presentation, uniformity, colour
and size, taste is way down on their list of priorities....personally i
couldn't care less what fruit and veg *look* like, they're for eating not
looking at!

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.