Old 03-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Does the title "O Guru" come with any lands and benefits :-?))

No, but you get my namaste, Guru-ji. Another one if you can

explain
fully and finally what this bee wine was all about.

Guru-ji? Only a *Ickle* guru?

That's the deferential form, bhai.

I would have said it sounded a little familiar, chela-ji

Seriously? Isn't it for a superior held in affectionate esteem? Like
Gandhi-ji, for example.

--
Mike.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I would have said it sounded a little familiar, chela-ji

Seriously? Isn't it for a superior held in affectionate esteem? Like
Gandhi-ji, for example.

I think a native speaker might be a better adjudicator - I'd always seen
it as an affectionate familiarity, and sometimes even as condescension,
as in the French 'Le Journo', Le Politico' etc.

But of course, I could have read nuances into its use that weren't
there. The only Hindi speakers I knew are back in India now, so I have
no-one to consult. (Oh, and one died in the Kings Cross Underground
fire. Rai Singh, RIP)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

I would have said it sounded a little familiar, chela-ji

Seriously? Isn't it for a superior held in affectionate esteem?

Like
Gandhi-ji, for example.

I think a native speaker might be a better adjudicator - I'd always
seen it as an affectionate familiarity, and sometimes even as
condescension,
as in the French 'Le Journo', Le Politico' etc.

But of course, I could have read nuances into its use that weren't
there. The only Hindi speakers I knew are back in India now, so I

have
no-one to consult. (Oh, and one died in the Kings Cross Underground
fire. Rai Singh, RIP)

I did the evening classes for a while, but have forgotten the lot, so
I won't argue.

--
Mike.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

But of course, I could have read nuances into its use that weren't
there. The only Hindi speakers I knew are back in India now, so I

have
no-one to consult. (Oh, and one died in the Kings Cross Underground
fire. Rai Singh, RIP)

I did the evening classes for a while, but have forgotten the lot, so
I won't argue.

My contacts with the language probably date back further, from around
1959 until the mid '60s.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Corncrake

Variously here and there in the thread "Mike Lyle"
and I
wrote about gooseberries and wine :-

Me :
When they are unripe it is a characteristically country gooseberry
wine,,
,, later {ed. when they are 'bursting-ripe'} it can be a nice white wine !

Him:
Interesting, Corncrake: individual taste, I suppose.

Me agin :
I was just about to offer that as a possibility

and now me with an also-ran :

Or the gooseberry variety perhaps ?

Are youan'me the only chickens here brewing goosgog wine ? !

(1) What varieties do other urglers grow _and_ferment _ ? do they get
good wine?

should we be doing this in uk.rec.fermenting or, failing that,
perhaps in uk.food+drink.misc ?

(2) Where does one buy from a good selection of varieties, links
anyone ?
Mine are now 30++ years old and could do with some new playmates !

Should I have changed the thread subject ? !?

Old 05-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Corncrake

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:28:44 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
(Corncrake) contains these words:
Does the title "O Guru" come with any lands and benefits :-?))

And shooting rights?

Got them on my present patch !
OT
Could do with some droit du seigneur though
insert emoticon for wicked grin

Was there an anglosaxson (pre-existing) equivalent to this,
or was it just another nasty Norman ** import ?

**montyP Dont mention the French /montyP
/OT

Old 20-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Dave

Corncrake writes
Hi
How can I tell when my gooseberries are ready?
Wendy

Ready for what ?
cooking
freezing
eating fresh of the bush
winemaking
etc&etc ?

Just after the cherries and redcurrants, and before the blackcurrants
are ready :-)

I usually manage to pick them for Jam / freezing when I can see them
easily on the bushes, which is when they start to change colour. This
year once I'd finished with the cherries, I used my new netting to cover
them until I had the time to pick them. Last year the birds got there
before me...
--
David