Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Default Honeysuckle problems

Hello,

Im a new user and a new gardener have just bought a house.

The honeysuckle in my garden has some flowers but most of them are yet to flower and are covered with small black/brown spots/growths (about 1/2 a millimeter in size). I presume this is not normal - can anyone suggest what to do?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Charlie Pridham

--
ewanc

The real problem is that the Honeysuckle is too dry/sunny or the wrong type,
but some relief can be had just knocking the aphids off with a forceful
water spray (assuming you are not in a hose pipe ban area!) you can also use
a chemical spray but that tends to kill off all the things that eat green
fly as well and can make the long term problem worse not better (unless of
course you are a shareholder of the company that makes the spray!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"ewanc" wrote in message

Hello,

Im a new user and a new gardener have just bought a house.

The honeysuckle in my garden has some flowers but most of them are yet
to flower and are covered with small black/brown spots/growths (about
1/2 a millimeter in size). I presume this is not normal - can anyone
suggest what to do?

The real problem is that the Honeysuckle is too dry/sunny or the wrong type,
but some relief can be had just knocking the aphids off with a forceful
water spray (assuming you are not in a hose pipe ban area!)

The force is more important than the volume. Try one of those 5l hand
held sprays which work by pumping the handle to build up pressure then
simply pressing the trigger. Set it on the least diffuse setting and it
gives a strong enough jet to knock aphids off.

you can also use
a chemical spray but that tends to kill off all the things that eat green
fly as well and can make the long term problem worse not better (unless of
course you are a shareholder of the company that makes the spray!)

--
Kay

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Honeysuckle problems JennC Gardening 19 20-07-2012 02:56 PM
shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
are my honeysuckle vines dead? paghat Gardening 6 09-02-2003 08:01 AM