Old 17-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User

Default Honeysuckle problems

I have a honeysuckle bush that, up until recently, seemed to be quite healthy and was growing well. I had to spray it with insecticide due to a small spider mite infestation killing off the top portion of the new growth, and now the bush is seemingly starting to die. Leaves throughout the bush are turning yellow and any new growth (it seems to still be sprouting new buds and they're growing rather long) seems to have yellowish spots. Is my honeysuckle dying or is this type of response normal after a bug infestation?
Old 17-07-2012, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:01:49 +0000, JennC
wrote:

I have a honeysuckle bush that, up until recently, seemed to be quite
healthy and was growing well. I had to spray it with insecticide due to
a small spider mite infestation killing off the top portion of the new
growth, and now the bush is seemingly starting to die. Leaves throughout
the bush are turning yellow and any new growth (it seems to still be
sprouting new buds and they're growing rather long) seems to have
yellowish spots. Is my honeysuckle dying or is this type of response
normal after a bug infestation?

I'll bet you didn't read the label on the insecticide, indicative that
you didn't name the product, were you supposed to dilute it? An
ordinary mild soap solution would have worked just fine and harmed
nothing, now you'll lucky if your plant lives. Why do folks have to
use over kill... and I'll bet you're one of those organic vegetable
buying freaks.
Old 17-07-2012, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Showing the amazing talent (once again) of working an unfounded and
gratuitous insult into every post. A truly extraordinary skill.

Old 18-07-2012, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

How does one killfile people on a NG?

HB
Old 18-07-2012, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

As you appear to be using google groups you cannot. If you get a newsreader
(there are some free, eg Outlook Express, Free Agent) and a usenet provider
(there are some free, eg eternal september, albisani) you can do it.

David

HB

Old 18-07-2012, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

A true gift. One can only presume that Shelly sees the world through
brown colored glasses; no sweetness, no joy, no wonderment.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us a candidate.

Old 18-07-2012, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

In the past Outlook has been the target of choice for hackers to spread
viruses. It may have been fixed, but I'd try anything else first.

Old 18-07-2012, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Outlook is not Outlook Express and Outlook doesn't have news groups IIRC. I
have used Outlook Express for years and while it is not particularly good it
works and has never given me a virus. I do have an up-to-date virus
checker, firewall and all Microsoft security updates installed, if using
Windoze i think this is essential regardless of your news reader.

Old 18-07-2012, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
JennC.gardenbanana wrote:

[...]

If you weren't a cheap ******* you'd *buy* a real news reader... but
still killfiling doesn't prevent others from reading and replying to
your drivel. And just maybe UNmoderated Newsgroups are not for you,
WUSSY WIMP! LOL-LOL

Old 18-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered User

Wow, I never would've thought to read the label, silly me! OH WAIT.
I read the label, followed the instructions and, funny enough, am not a complete idiot but I'm sure you know me well enough to assume so. And no I don't buy organic vegetables. Thanks for your wonderfully helpful bit of information though, I really appreciate your input!

Old 19-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Hi JennC

It's really annoying when people use forums for general banter (or insults) and really don't provide helpful information. Really guys if you're wanting banter go to a chat room but JennC posted this to get helpful advice about her honeysuckle - not get called an idiot and not to find out about the functionality of email programmes.

JennC I'm no expert but I'll add my comments that may only potentially help but I certainly hope will not insult! If you've followed the instructions then theres not really a lot you can do but watch and wait. It certainly doesn't sound like normal honeysuckly behaviour although mine went a bit yellow earlier this year around the bottom although the top looks healthy enough and it did flower a month or so ago.

I would recommend trying to take a cutting (or ten) to ensure if it does die you have a back up. Other than that just sit back and wait. Additionally you should not use the spray again, or if you're interested in an experiment, use it on something you're not particularly attached to see if it has the same reaction. If both die then maybe throw the spray away, but if it survives maybe your honeysuckle was just coincidence / bad luck!
Old 19-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katey_new View Post
[...]

Thank you for the advice I took a few cuttings when I first got the plant and they've been doing well, so if it comes to it, I've still got those. I did use the spray on a few nasturtium and they seem to be doing alright so maybe the spray was just too harsh for the honeysuckle. I also put the honeysuckle in new soil in case any of the insecticide drained into the dirt. I'll just wait and see if my plant makes a recovery. Thank you for the help Katey.
Old 19-07-2012, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

katey_new****.gardenbanana wrote:

It's really annoying when people use forums for general banter (or
insults) and really don't provide helpful information.

You're a worse insult than anyone... here you are being rude by just
barging into a place where you've not previously habituated and have
no real business, and certainly weren't invited, and offering the OP
not a whit of useful information... and if you actually believe that
just because, after the fact, she claims she read and understood the
directions then you are an imbecile. She obviously did NOT read the
directions (AND SHE STILL HASN'T POSTED THE NAME OF THE INSECTICIDE).
And I did offer an excellent suggestion, use a soap solution. Now get
lost you filthy stinking unbathed trouble making illiterate UK POS.
Old 19-07-2012, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 writes:

katey_newXXXX.gardenbanana wrote:

It's really annoying when people use forums for general banter (or
insults) and really don't provide helpful information.

You're a worse insult than anyone...

Seriously Brooklyn, you appear to be losing your mind.
Anyone can post here, if you think you have some special status
because you've been harassing people here for years, you're out
of your mind.

I don't get it.

When I meet a stranger, I try to be polite.
I bet you do the same thing in real life.

--
Dan Espen
Old 20-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
katey_new****.gardenbanana wrote:

It's really annoying when people use forums for general banter (or
insults) and really don't provide helpful information.

You're a worse insult than anyone... here you are being rude by just
barging into a place where you've not previously habituated and have
no real business, and certainly weren't invited, and offering the OP
not a whit of useful information... and if you actually believe that
just because, after the fact, she claims she read and understood the
directions then you are an imbecile. She obviously did NOT read the
directions (AND SHE STILL HASN'T POSTED THE NAME OF THE INSECTICIDE).
And I did offer an excellent suggestion, use a soap solution. Now get
lost you filthy stinking unbathed trouble making illiterate UK POS.
You offered a suggestion to combat spider mites, which are no longer the problem. The name of the insecticide is Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, and yes I read the instructions no matter how many times you want to claim that I didn't. I was also told by quite a few people that this insecticide would be appropriate for use on honeysuckles. Feel free to continue posting insults and claiming you are sure I'm an idiot, Ms. Holier than Thou.