Old 07-03-2003, 04:32 PM
pgiblin

Default Best Clematis?

May I pick your brains. I have some screening which is about 8' high by
about 12'. I want to grow a colourful climber up against it to further
thicken the screen and give more privacy.

Ideally it must be quick growing, quite thick/bushy and colourful. Is this
too much to ask?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable variety? They will be planted in
large containers at the foot of the trellis. The aspect is facing south
west.

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pete Giblin

Old 07-03-2003, 08:57 PM
cpemma

pgiblin wrote:
May I pick your brains. I have some screening which is about 8' high
by about 12'. I want to grow a colourful climber up against it to
further thicken the screen and give more privacy.

Ideally it must be quick growing, quite thick/bushy and colourful.
Is this too much to ask?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable variety? They will be planted
in large containers at the foot of the trellis. The aspect is facing
south west.

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Container and large vigorous clematis don't really go together, they
need lots of moisture.

If you can get it into the soil, a c. montana will fill that space in a
week or two

Old 07-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Ken Saunders

"pgiblin" wrote in message ...
May I pick your brains. I have some screening which is about 8' high by
about 12'. I want to grow a colourful climber up against it to further
thicken the screen and give more privacy.

Ideally it must be quick growing, quite thick/bushy and colourful. Is this
too much to ask?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable variety? They will be planted in
large containers at the foot of the trellis. The aspect is facing south
west.

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pete Giblin

Hi Pete..Clematis Montana..pink or white. I think "Elizabeth"
is white and quite large.Perhaps a nurseryman could discuss.
Takes about three years to overall cover.Flowers in May
Prune after flowering.Plant slightly deeper than in pot.
You won't be dissapointed..happy gardening Ken.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Ken Saunders" wrote in message
om...
snip

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pete Giblin

Hi Pete..Clematis Montana..pink or white. I think "Elizabeth"
is white and quite large.Perhaps a nurseryman could

discuss.
Takes about three years to overall cover.Flowers in May
Prune after flowering.Plant slightly deeper than in pot.
You won't be dissapointed..happy gardening Ken.

Hi Ken,

I think C. Montana "Elizabeth" is pink with large flowers.

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

"Ken Saunders" wrote in message
. com...
snip

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pete Giblin

Hi Pete..Clematis Montana..pink or white. I think "Elizabeth"
is white and quite large.Perhaps a nurseryman could

discuss.
Takes about three years to overall cover.Flowers in May
Prune after flowering.Plant slightly deeper than in pot.
You won't be dissapointed..happy gardening Ken.

I think C. Montana "Elizabeth" is pink with large flowers.

Pale pink and scented. Other montana's more suitable as not as enormous
(Warwickshire Rose, Broughton Star, Freda, all around the 15ft mark) but
if you're putting it in a container don't forget to water and feed it.
Eventually it will outgrow it's pot and you will have to re-pot it or
start again.

You don't need to worry too much about planting montanas deep - not as
important as it is when you're planting a hybrid.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site

Old 08-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , Ken
Saunders writes
"pgiblin" wrote in message news:b4ahig$ntd$1@ne
wsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
May I pick your brains. I have some screening which is about 8' high by
about 12'. I want to grow a colourful climber up against it to further
thicken the screen and give more privacy.

Ideally it must be quick growing, quite thick/bushy and colourful. Is this
too much to ask?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable variety? They will be planted in
large containers at the foot of the trellis. The aspect is facing south
west.

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pete Giblin

Hi Pete..Clematis Montana..pink or white. I think "Elizabeth"
is white and quite large.

Elizabeth is dusky pink, but you're right about large - I think Montanas
would be too large for a container.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Michael Berridge

pgiblin wrote in message ...
May I pick your brains. I have some screening which is about 8' high

by
about 12'. I want to grow a colourful climber up against it to further
thicken the screen and give more privacy.

Ideally it must be quick growing, quite thick/bushy and colourful. Is

this
too much to ask?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable variety? They will be planted in
large containers at the foot of the trellis. The aspect is facing south
west.

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Best idea is probably to speak to a Clematis Nursery, they would be best
able to help as to what is vigorous and suitable for a container.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk